My new Avanti 1963 R2 (Europe Export)

Stefan B.

Hi,

I have just brought my new Avanti home from its prior owner in Switzerland, last week:

• 1963 R2
  • color grey
  • red seats and beige dash
  • imported from the US to Switzerland by Binelli & Ehrsam AG, Zurich
  • first registered in Milano, Italy, in 1967 by a Mr. Passoni
  • VIN R-4641
  • Engine no. S-2514
  • Body no. 3609
  • Factory order no. 1416

thought I could post some photos here as I am quite proud right now 🙂

If anybody knows anything about this car's prior history, please let me know.

Best wishes from Vienna,
Stefan

1-1715852003.jpg

2-1715852009.jpg

3-1715852014.jpg

4-1715852018.jpg

5-1715852022.jpg

6-1715852028.jpg

7-1715852032.jpg

9-1715852041.jpg

Beautiful car in a nice color combination!

I notice a couple things that I might draw your attention to:

1) Large, unusual looking battery.  The original is a 3EE (very long & narrow).  Some of us use a 51R, which is about half the length of a 3EE, and perfectly adequate for an Avanti.  The 51R was used in 1970s - 80s Hondas.

2) Some of us replace the single-chamber master cylinder with a dual one for safety.  There are kits available to do this.

3) The sticker on the supercharger goes directly over the hole (symmetrically).

Good luck with your prize!  If any questions just ask.

--Dwight (I have had/have 5 Avantis)

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

18 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Beautiful car in a nice color combination!

I notice a couple things that I might draw your attention to:

1) Large, unusual looking battery.  The original is a 3EE (very long & narrow).  Some of us use a 51R, which is about half the length of a 3EE, and perfectly adequate for an Avanti.  The 51R was used in 1970s - 80s Hondas.

2) Some of us replace the single-chamber master cylinder with a dual one for safety.  There are kits available to do this.

3) The sticker on the supercharger goes directly over the hole (symmetrically).

Good luck with your prize!  If any questions just ask.

--Dwight (I have had/have 5 Avantis)

Thank you for your remarks and recommendations! I really appreciate that.

52 minutes ago, Mark L said:

Congratulations. That's a beautiful color combination. It appears to have been maintained well.

1 hour ago, Footer said:

Beautiful Stefan. 
Interesting rear view mirror, haven’t seen one like that. Mike

yes, the rear view mirror looks great, however it is not very practical as you see more or less only the tops of the cars behind you 🙂

53 minutes ago, Mark L said:

Congratulations. That's a beautiful color combination. It appears to have been maintained well.

yes, it seems the former owner did take care of it quite well, but he has not driven it that much - I was very much surprised how good the breaks are and how easy going the gear shift

7 minutes ago, Stefan B. said:

Thank you for your remarks and recommendations! I really appreciate that.

One more question concerning your remark 3 regarding the super charger. I see the hole there but no sticker. What sticker should be there to cover this hole?

image.thumb.png.45c93b91b7dedc036c164c3f2e8e6954.png

I have always been fascinated by any Avanti that was sold new and exported exported. Ian Flemings Avanti being the most famous of them,I have attached something that you might already have obtained for your files. There is another 1963 Avati that was exported to Trieste, Italy and might have been a show car fitted with Borrani wire wheels when new. You have a gorgeous car.

Milan Italy Avanti.jpg

1 hour ago, Stefan B. said:

One more question concerning your remark 3 regarding the super charger. I see the hole there but no sticker. What sticker should be there to cover this hole?

image.thumb.png.45c93b91b7dedc036c164c3f2e8e6954.png

It looks like there is a sticker on the outboard side of the supercharger nose, but it may just be a reflection.  Below are pix of a supercharger with sticker and of a 51R battery installation.  The supercharger sticker is available from Studebaker International and others.

BTW, your engine serial number should be RS-2514.  (BTW = By the way)

--Dwight

1963 Avanti Group 51R battery1.jpg

1963 Avanti R2 AT sn_63R1380 SoldFor_$32k BaT 20210119 (15).jpg

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons
add pix

1 hour ago, bob caser said:

I found the photo of a European export car with the Borrani wire wheels. It appears that the photo might have been taken at the Olympics. I believe that this one is a factory show car that was sent over in 1963 for a auto show.

Bob Caser

avanti with borrani wheels.jpg

Yes,

http://www.studebaker-info.org/avantiX1.html#r1179

3 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

It looks like there is a sticker on the outboard side of the supercharger nose, but it may just be a reflection.  Below are pix of a supercharger with sticker and of a 51R battery installation.  The supercharger sticker is available from Studebaker International and others.

BTW, your engine serial number should be RS-2514.  (BTW = By the way)

--Dwight

1963 Avanti Group 51R battery1.jpg

1963 Avanti R2 AT sn_63R1380 SoldFor_$32k BaT 20210119 (15).jpg

Hi, 

just checked and you are right, engine number ist RS 2514. 

The sticker is at the side as you correctly identified. I will check if I can change that and put it symmetrically over the hole.

Thanks also for the photo with the correct battery. I was not aware of that.

LG
Stefan

4 hours ago, bob caser said:

I have always been fascinated by any Avanti that was sold new and exported exported. Ian Flemings Avanti being the most famous of them,I have attached something that you might already have obtained for your files. There is another 1963 Avati that was exported to Trieste, Italy and might have been a show car fitted with Borrani wire wheels when new. You have a gorgeous car.

Milan Italy Avanti.jpg

Thanks, this is exactly the document I also received with the car. Mine is just without the handwriting that is seen on your copy, and I have it in on a thin green paper and the same also on a thin red paper. Where did you get that?

kind regards,
Stefan

2 hours ago, silverstude said:

thank you for the photo and also the link - I found some useful info there on my car with names of prior owners.
Prior to me, the car was owned by Mr. Wallimann in Maur, Switzerland

1 hour ago, Stacey said:

What a beautiful car you picked up. Your going to get so many questions I'm sure when out and about from many who have never seen one.  Hope you enjoy talking to folks..enjoy!

thank you! - I am really happy to have it. I definitively enjoy talking to people and tell them about the car, but first I need to learn more about the car myself so that I can do that in a well-founded manner.
Avantis are quire rare in Europe. As far as I heard there are a few in Switzerland and also in the Netherlands but not in the other countries. I do not know how many there are in Austria but it might well be that mine is the first and only one in our country. So, I will try my best to come up to this honor.

1 hour ago, Stefan B. said:

Thanks, this is exactly the document I also received with the car. Mine is just without the handwriting that is seen on your copy, and I have it in on a thin green paper and the same also on a thin red paper. Where did you get that?

kind regards,
Stefan

Hello Stefan.

I am not sure where I acquired this document. I have owned numerous Avanti's since October of 1963 when we bought one new from our local dealer. Over the years many automotive things enter and attach themselves to our lives. I have attached a photo looking out my current office window. I  have been my involved with great cars through out my whole life ! The Avanti still remains my top choice, though.

Office window.jpg

6 hours ago, bob caser said:

Hello Stefan.

I am not sure where I acquired this document. I have owned numerous Avanti's since October of 1963 when we bought one new from our local dealer. Over the years many automotive things enter and attach themselves to our lives. I have attached a photo looking out my current office window. I  have been my involved with great cars through out my whole life ! The Avanti still remains my top choice, though.

Office window.jpg

a wonderful view - I envy you for this