Opinion....

mfg

I believe that the inner construction hood cross brace was eliminated on the '64 Studebaker Avanti (square light) models due to the R3 engine option (with air box) coming on line....?

2 hours ago, mfg said:

I believe that the inner construction hood cross brace was eliminated on the '64 Studebaker Avanti (square light) models due to the R3 engine option (with air box) coming on line....?

The hood brace was eliminated during the 1963 model year.

4 hours ago, regnalbob said:

The hood brace was eliminated during the 1963 model year.

I've never seen a 'round light' Avanti without the hood cross brace...however, that doesn't mean later 'round light' hoods weren't built that way!....Can you supply the Studebaker Avanti's serial number for this change?

Edited by mfg
added text

I once owned R4341 which was a round eyed Avanti.  It had no hood brace.  I always understood it was removed for the R3 or at least due to some Avantis having clearance issue with the hood.  

If it was for R3 clearance it would have been phased in prior to R3 production.  R4130 which was the R3 mule for the package does not have the brace.

49 minutes ago, Gunslinger said:

I once owned R4341 which was a round eyed Avanti.  It had no hood brace.  I always understood it was removed for the R3 or at least due to some Avantis having clearance issue with the hood.  

If it was for R3 clearance it would have been phased in prior to R3 production.  R4130 which was the R3 mule for the package does not have the brace.

Thanks for posting those serial numbers Gunslinger.

19 hours ago, regnalbob said:

The change was made at a body number and not a serial number.

My Avanti is R4137 and body number RQ-2998. Built April, 1963

R4341 has body number RQ-3011. Built May, 1963

R4130 has a South Bend body, RQ-5190. Built April, 1963

That's odd....Studebaker normally made production changes on their Avantis (as well as their other models) at specific serial numbers....  (usually after serial number such and such)

Edited by mfg
added text

Body numbers were not used sequentially as they were pulled by the paint color…at least with MFG bodies which were delivered painted.  Introducing a change by body number has the potential for a real cluster trying to determine when any change was initiated.  That would do the same by serial number as well.

11 hours ago, A0136 said:

The parts manual shows a hood change after serial number 4892. 

10 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

The change after 4892 is likely relocating the support bracket from left to right.

I don't know...I would think the elimination of the hood inner construction cross brace occurred at the same time the hood prop was re- located, and the left inner fender skirt modified to accomodate a group 24 size battery..At the first official Studebaker 'square light' Avanti....R4892.

Earlier serial numbers without hood cross brace (such as R4130) may have been factory engineering types, or Avantis that had newer replacement body panels due to collisions, etc.

5 hours ago, mfg said:

I don't know...I would think the elimination of the hood inner construction cross brace occurred at the same time the hood prop was re- located, and the left inner fender skirt modified to accomodate a group 24 size battery..At the first official Studebaker 'square light' Avanti....R4892.

This was my thought- opinion also. 

On 11/16/2023 at 5:28 PM, 64studeavanti said:

I have 63 round headlight Avanti R4551. It has the hood prop on the left side, the long battery, and no brace on the hood.

I have a couple of those here too. (no brace, and left prop rod)

On 11/18/2023 at 11:52 PM, brad said:

I have a couple of those here too. (no brace, and left prop rod)

Well then, it seems the elimination of the hood cross brace was 'blended' in on some later Stude Avanti serial numbers before R4892,...and with no specific starting date......?

Edited by mfg
Spelling

Underside look at a 67 Avanti II. Prop rod on the right but it appears to have a mounting plate on the left so it could fit ether type. IMG_2653.thumb.jpeg.487d4e967e585539b035dabc6204e9aa.jpeg

My ‘70 Avanti had a hood with those locator dimples on both sides.  My guess would be at the change to the hood prop to the right side that either…

The hood molds simply left those dimples in place when new locator dimples were placed on the right, or

It was a deliberate decision to make all hoods replacement hoods for all Avantis should that be required.

1 hour ago, paul shuffleburg said:

R4499, Body #3575 built May 63 has no cross brace.

OK..and that one's a gorgeous, factory black round light!

PS.. Paul, did you see the ad for the Avantis for sale on Rt 114 in Standish?..Check the 'Avantis For Sale' section on this forum.

Edited by mfg
added text

I know on the R3 prototype and I believe the Bonneville Avantis that cross brass was cut out for blower clearance. Then later it was redesigned with the relief for the blower hose incorporated in to it. I think that is right. If so, I don’t think it was removed for the R3 install unless the plenum hit it?

12 hours ago, Nelson said:

I know on the R3 prototype and I believe the Bonneville Avantis that cross brass was cut out for blower clearance. Then later it was redesigned with the relief for the blower hose incorporated in to it. I think that is right. If so, I don’t think it was removed for the R3 install unless the plenum hit it?

Hmmm..that's interesting...I'm not sure if I ever saw that 'relief for the blower hose'.