$10,000 NOS CRATE ENGINE

Rick Allen

The engine had a BIN of $14,500. I know the fellow selling it and he is a top-notch guy. What you were were looking at was a genuine Studebaker crate engine straight from the factory, or at least what was left of Studebaker, when it was sold. 

I wish I could buy it and store just as it is, a crated unused engine.

1 hour ago, regnalbob said:

Could be this one.

281162005_StandardSurplusPriceList.thumb.png.66666b1cba39e85137b6b42f0697fcf3.png

Yea, could be, surprising to me that Studebaker would put the lower compression heads on the non-supercharged Avanti engines unless they were just getting rid of inventory before they shut down the South Bend factory or was that an engine version that could be ordered on the Lark/Hawk?

1 hour ago, Rick Allen said:

Yea, could be, surprising to me that Studebaker would put the lower compression heads on the non-supercharged Avanti engines unless they were just getting rid of inventory before they shut down the South Bend factory or was that an engine version that could be ordered on the Lark/Hawk?

The low compression heads were an option on the R1 for 1964.

According to the parts catalog the included 4 speed was only used with a 3.07 axle.

If it hasn’t been turned over since 1963 how does anyone know it’s not locked up?  The seller is surely correct about a buyer needing to disassemble and essentially do a complete rebuild…all the way through.  All this needs to be taken into account by any potential buyer.

This NOS engine has the potential to be as or more expensive to put into operation than a well used engine requiring a rebuild.

11 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

Don't disagree with special order ratios. Do disagree with statement that 4spd was only used with 3.07 ratio.

NOS Studebaker T10, 4 speed transmission (1558219).

According to the parts catalog the 4 speed with that part number is only used for the 3.07 axle.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/1/2023 at 2:17 PM, Mark63Avanti said:

The engine had a BIN of $14,500. I know the fellow selling it and he is a top-notch guy. What you were were looking at was a genuine Studebaker crate engine straight from the factory, or at least what was left of Studebaker, when it was sold. 

I wish I could buy it and store just as it is, a crated unused engine.

Mark,   Could this engine and transmission had been saved by Dick Vaux?  When Studebaker shut down at the end of 1963, he worked at the regional parts warehouse in New Hampshire (I believe) and was told to take an inventory of all parts, send the part numbers to headquarters in South Bend, and then have all parts hauled to a landfill.  He told me that he worked long nights and weekends to find an Avanti part and hauled them to his home so he could have them for his own Avantis.   After his death in 2019, the family sold most everything, so maybe this went to WCD Garage where it is stored now, or to someone else?