Dual master cylinder on a 63 Avanti

Nelson

What dual master cylinder is typically used in place of the single unit. Car has original booster and braking system. The one on the car now looks like a Chrysler type but not certain and want to replace with a new one while redoing the original calipers, hoses and rear brake shoes.

I'm following this'n.

My '63' has the same issue. A single master and weak brakes.

Yes, this is a "stock" setup. It doesn't make me feel better since the last single master cyl car I had ('63' Ford) was near destroyed when the thing failed at 50mph. Currently my Avanti is up on jackstands and I'm going thru things... Brakes being one of the major items.

As a side note..a Mopar friend of Mine's eyes popped out when he saw the factory brake booster on my '63 Avanti....It's exactly the same as the one Chrysler used on his '69 Dodge Daytona. which he thought was an extremely rare unit!

46 minutes ago, Nelson said:

I ordered the master cylinder for a 71 Roadrunner.. it looked exactly like the one on the car. We’ll see how it works out.

Thanks.

Yes, most all those 'B' body Mopars used similar brake master cylinders

Just because a Mopar part fits doesn't mean its right.  Due to the weight of a different car the master cylinder can have a different bore diameter.  That can give a harder or softer pedal feel.  That also doesn't mean it won't work...just may change the braking characteristics of the Avanti.  

Just something to keep in mind when swapping master cylinders just because it fits the bolt pattern.  The same goes for wheel cylinders for the rear brakes...I found that out the hard way.

9 hours ago, mfg said:

As a side note..a Mopar friend of Mine's eyes popped out when he saw the factory brake booster on my '63 Avanti....It's exactly the same as the one Chrysler used on his '69 Dodge Daytona. which he thought was an extremely rare unit!

They are not exactly the same.

The Dodge is 8 inches in diameter,

The Avanti is 8 3/4 inches in diameter.

3 hours ago, regnalbob said:

They are not exactly the same.

The Dodge is 8 inches in diameter,

The Avanti is 8 3/4 inches in diameter.

You are no doubt speaking of another Mopar brake booster..Nice try though Bobby!

14 minutes ago, 64studeavanti said:

If you order a dual brake master cylinder for a '74 Dodge Coronet you will be happy!

I installed one on my '63 Stude Avanti approx 20 years ago, it's still working well, and brake performance could not be better (without updating the disc brakes themselves.)

Anyone still using the factory single piston master cylinder, on anything other than a seldom driven show car, is putting themselves and their Avanti at unnecessary risk

3 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

So master cylinder is good. What about booster?

The stock Studebaker Avanti brake booster, as long as it's in good condition, works just fine with the Chrysler master cylinder.

The master cylinder is activated by a pushrod which protrudes from the front of the brake booster...the pushrod is adjustable...and if I remember correctly,  it had to be adjusted slightly to give correct pushrod 'travel' with the Chrysler master.

On 2/14/2024 at 10:05 PM, mfg said:

Have a nice day Bob!

Why did you edit your post?

You told me to stop pestering you and go back to the SDC Forum which is a better 'fit' for me.

How was I pestering you? You made a statement and I replied. 

1 hour ago, regnalbob said:

Why did you edit your post?

You told me to stop pestering you and go back to the SDC Forum which is a better 'fit' for me.

How was I pestering you? You made a statement and I replied. 

Bob......do I need to block you again? If you're happier on the Studebaker Forum, by all means go there!

Edited by mfg
added text

Sorry I was not clear. There have been some conflicting information about whether B body Mopar brake boosters are a replacement for the Stude ones. In the trivia section, it was stated that the "hemi" equipped cars used the same 8 3/4" brake booster.  This booster, like Avanti boosters, are hard to come by. In a later post on this forum, it was claimed that the readily available 8" Mopar booster works. Most of the posts on the Mopar forums indicate that the hemi boosters are not interchangeable with other mopars and versa visa.

Just trying to find out if the readily available B body 8" Mopar boosters work on Avantis.

1 hour ago, 64studeavanti said:

Sorry I was not clear. There have been some conflicting information about whether B body Mopar brake boosters are a replacement for the Stude ones. In the trivia section, it was stated that the "hemi" equipped cars used the same 8 3/4" brake booster.  This booster, like Avanti boosters, are hard to come by. In a later post on this forum, it was claimed that the readily available 8" Mopar booster works. Most of the posts on the Mopar forums indicate that the hemi boosters are not interchangeable with other mopars and versa visa.

Just trying to find out if the readily available B body 8" Mopar boosters work on Avantis.

Yes.... brake booster on factory Hemi Mopars is indeed smaller due to those oversize heads...Bob was confused about that.

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Bob......do I need to block you again? If you're happier on the Studebaker Forum, by all means go there!

You still didn't answer my question. I have to laugh when you threaten to block me. If it makes you happy block me.

Yet another post you edited after crying about the SDC Forum & Studebaker Drivers Club.

1 hour ago, 64studeavanti said:

Spoke with the owner of Power Brake X-Change in Pittsburgh and he said the Mopar boosters available are not a direct fit for Avantis.

2 hours ago, Leo B said:

Im thinking to change to Dual. Is this simple solution?

https://avantiparts.biz/dual-master-cylinder-conversion-kit/

I'd be surprised if Bob was having these made, more likely selling a replacement master, maybe like the ones suggested for a '74 Dodge Coronet and other Mopar of that vintage; you can by one of those from RockAuto or E-bay for under $40,,, 

Edited by Rick Allen
add