1963 R2 exterior paint color

TerryR2

I am the new proud owner of a 1963 R2 4speed Avanti in need of a total restoration. It appears to be numbers matching with

Avanti Gold as the original color. Gold is my least favorite color on a car. The question is to all of the Avanti people out there, how

much will it affect the value of the car if I paint it a different color. I am leaning toward Avanti grey or black. I would really appreciate 

your thoughts and I value your input. 

As far as being judged in an AOAI or SDC event…originality of color is pretty much immaterial as long as it’s an official Avanti color.  To a purist it may mean a lot.  To everyone else it matters little beyond the quality of the overall package.

It’s your car…make yourself happy and don’t worry about what others think.

Also, I agree with you on AVANTI GOLD...Not that it's a bad looking color, but back in the day the factory Avanti Gold lacquer seemed to go flat (wash out) very early on when exposed to sun & weather, making many Stude Avantis look old before their time.

I believe that this (wash out issue) was why (at the time) Ditzler (now PPG) came out with a second 'Avanti Gold' paint formula....Exactly same color... but 'fortified' to hold shine longer.

I don't think that changing the color of your Avanti to another Avanti color will affect its value in itself.  The color you choose will have some effect on the value of the car, with red probably being the most popular.

64studeavanti is right about the amount of work/money involved in painting an Avanti black.  I once painted a '56 Continental Mark II black and my arm is still hurting from all of that block sanding.  I had to paint that car twice (first time in sections) to find and correct all the imperfections.

Later I stripped a '63 Avanti to bare fiberglass and painted it Avanti Red (was Gold).  Again, many, many hours of block sanding.

A local dentist had a black Avanti II from the years of Blake paint problems.  I saw the car after he had the car stripped & painted.  It looked like hell.  I assume that he didn't pay enough to get a good job.

--Dwight (2 '64 Avantis)

After owning and maintaining an all black '55 Speedster show car for over 30 years, I've seen that when a smudge or water spots can be almost unnoticeable with other colors, these same imperfections are magnified ten times when found on a black vehicle!

I had a black 75 Monte Carlo that I repainted, wet sanded, clear coated, and polished. It was a nice car but I rubbed it down with Mequire’s Mirror Glaze every weekend and kept it clean. Black is beautiful if done right but it takes a lot of upkeep to stay that way. Don’t have the energy for that anymore! 
MonteCarloII.thumb.jpeg.326017afb3d249454b69795758385e54.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Footer said:

I had a black 75 Monte Carlo that I repainted, wet sanded, clear coated, and polished. It was a nice car but I rubbed it down with Mequire’s Mirror Glaze every weekend and kept it clean. Black is beautiful if done right but it takes a lot of upkeep to stay that way. Don’t have the energy for that anymore! 
MonteCarloII.thumb.jpeg.326017afb3d249454b69795758385e54.jpeg

That's a gorgeous Monte!...I've always liked those.

Modern base coat/clear coat  urethane paints, with their 'wet' look, enhances almost any color...

I think it should be noted though that this modern deep, wet, appearance is definitely not how the factory lacquer paint jobs looked in '63-'64.

I feel fortunate that my '63 Avanti was painted in acrylic lacquer back 35 years ago...The car has been well cared for, and when I show it, it gives onlookers a better idea of how Studebaker Avantis appeared back when they were new.....Ed

10 hours ago, mfg said:

Modern base coat/clear coat  urethane paints, with their 'wet' look, enhances almost any color...

I think it should be noted though that this modern deep, wet, appearance is definitely not how the factory lacquer paint jobs looked in '63-'64.

Maybe a single-stage urethane paint job would be a bit more authentic looking, while still giving the durability of urethane paints.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's nice to see a more realistic crowd in the Avanti world. I have a C2 Corvette that I'm also getting ready to restore and those people are nuts. I have to have the correct numbers matching shoes to wear if I want to driving it. I'm in full agreement with the color black, had a few cars in this color, thanks for bringing me back to my senses...Avanti Grey makes me melt. Great picture Dwight. Where do I find that exact match? How about interiors? mine came with Fawn/Elk but thinking Orange...Haven't seen it in person..is it too much? Does it take away or add to the class the Avanti exudes.

I've owned a couple of older Corvettes and yes...the purists among Corvette people can be annoying...but the absolute worst I've experienced are the Mopar fanatics.  They don't refer to Mother Mopar for no reason.  The purists there are maddening.  If the factory routinely left overspray in some areas of the car they want that overspray in restorations...no matter the cost.  If I'm paying that kind of money for a paint job I want perfection...not overspray.  It looks substandard to me.  

9 hours ago, TerryR2 said:

Avanti Grey makes me melt. Great picture Dwight. Where do I find that exact match? How about interiors? mine came with Fawn/Elk but thinking Orange...Haven't seen it in person..is it too much? Does it take away or add to the class the Avanti exudes.

As others have said, your car, your choice.  My R2 was originally white with orange interior.  When I bought it in 1975, it was 12 years old and the paint had already been changed from white to red and then to yellow, and finally to green.  The interior was also green.  All of those colors had made the previous owners briefly happy.

I stripped the car of four layers of paint to bare fiberglass and had it painted white.  I've had orange upholstery and appropriately colored salt & pepper style carpet in storage for years and 2024 may be the year it gets installed and the Avanti gets a new coat of white paint.

Orange upholstery is visually striking and might go well with a grey exterior.  I think I'd drape the seats with large orange towels to check out how it looks with grey before having it reupholstered, however.

Enjoy your Avanti!

16 hours ago, TerryR2 said:

Thanks everyone for your input. It's nice to see a more realistic crowd in the Avanti world. I have a C2 Corvette that I'm also getting ready to restore and those people are nuts. I have to have the correct numbers matching shoes to wear if I want to driving it. I'm in full agreement with the color black, had a few cars in this color, thanks for bringing me back to my senses...Avanti Grey makes me melt. Great picture Dwight. Where do I find that exact match? How about interiors? mine came with Fawn/Elk but thinking Orange...Haven't seen it in person..is it too much? Does it take away or add to the class the Avanti exudes.

As far as a source for Avanti paint colors in modern urthane I would contact either/both Dave Thibeault in Mass or Jon & Mike Myer in Ohio.

On 12/30/2023 at 5:30 AM, psdenno said:

As others have said, your car, your choice.  My R2 was originally white with orange interior.  When I bought it in 1975, it was 12 years old and the paint had already been changed from white to red and then to yellow, and finally to green.  The interior was also green.  All of those colors had made the previous owners briefly happy.

I stripped the car of four layers of paint to bare fiberglass and had it painted white.  I've had orange upholstery and appropriately colored salt & pepper style carpet in storage for years and 2024 may be the year it gets installed and the Avanti gets a new coat of white paint.

Orange upholstery is visually striking and might go well with a grey exterior.  I think I'd drape the seats with large orange towels to check out how it looks with grey before having it reupholstered, however.

Enjoy your Avanti!

Avanti Gray is an iridescent color and contains blue and purple. I think only Black or Metallic Red will go with it. Metallic Red is quite dark and shiny and forms a good balance with iridescent Avanti Gray and Fawn. Orange is too yellow, bright and warm and works well with a warm white car. I would trust what professional designers have once planned.

mine-gray.jpg

There was one up here in New England like that years ago... (Gray/Orange)...I liked it!

It kind of reminded me of the early '55 Speedsters with that 'blinding' all yellow leather interior!

6 hours ago, TerryR2 said:

Again, thanks everyone for your input. I think according to Dwight in another post, Avanti gray cars in 1963 did come with orange interiors. Probably not many and I couldn't find a picture of one but may be an interesting combo.

I have a 1963 Avanti Color & Upholstery Selector book.  According to it Avanti Gray was available with upholstery combinations 6, 7, 8, 9.  6 = black, 7 = red, 8 = orange, 9 = turquoise.  A cool color (gray) and a warm color (orange) certainly do go together.  Looks good to me!

DSCN0094.JPG

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons