Reservoir/ Surge Tank?

Dunkin

I would first clean it very well and then would fill all holes with Metal Repair / Rebuilding Compound. The best brand which you can find is Belzona.
Only professional companies have this. I have used it. Of course you can find other brands from retail.

Take it to your radiator shop and have them clean it with a little acid and then fill the voids with solder. Then you can file it and sand it smooth. I have done this to steel and brass flanges and never had an issue. I would use solder with at least 60% tin content or 95/5 plumbing solder.

Best of luck with it, John C.

I took it there today, and they didn't bring the solder solution up. I have thought of what you suggested also, I might try doing it myself, also there are some epoxy metal compounds out there, that are supposed to work. I will look at turning it over also. Thank you both.  

17 hours ago, Dunkin said:

I took it there today, and they didn't bring the solder solution up. I have thought of what you suggested also, I might try doing it myself, also there are some epoxy metal compounds out there, that are supposed to work. I will look at turning it over also. Thank you both.  

Epoxy metal compounds are ok. Lots of choices at retail like Locktite etc. There is not a lot of pressure. You only need to make sure that the compound can withstand the heat of the water. This is a quite easy job. Clean well and make a flat layer. This way you don't do anything irreversible.

Edited by Leo B

2 minutes ago, Leo B said:

Epoxy metal compounds are ok. Lots of choices at retail like Locktite etc. There is not a lot of pressure. You only need to make sure that the compound can withstand the heat of the water. This is a quite easy job. Clean well and make a flat layer. This way you don't do anything irreversible.

2 minutes ago, Dunkin said:

Leo, thank you I think I am going to try the Epoxy Metal first.

Hi Dunkin. Remember to tell results. This will help all of us to solve interesting problems.😊

I’ve never turned one over but don’t know why it wouldn’t work. in the old days I would flip starter ring gears to capture the unworn side so I’m up for anything to keep the cars on the road.. I also would try the epoxy first. Sand blasting to get rid of all the rust I believe is critical. I’ve even sand blasted disc brake calipers Bach in the day and epoxied them then sanded and honed. Never had a problem with that either.

• 3 weeks later...