Went to see a '63 R2 yesterday

Bernie

Long story.  This car was for sale locally in 1969, after work I was planning on making a deal with the owner.  Mentioned it to a good friend when he came to work on 2nd shift, he says, he just bought it!

My friend passed in 2020.  His wife, same high school class, we had our 60th reunion recently.  I asked her what she had done with my friend's cars, he had a collection of Corvettes, a '64 Plymouth Sport Fury, and others, plus the Avanti.

Shes says  she has sold a lot of the cars.  I asked about the Avanti, she still has it!  I asked if someday I might see it, she said OK, but its not for sale.

So yesterday was the day, I drove the 60 miles to see the car.  It was last on the road in '73, and moved to the new location in 2009 where they had built a house and large storage building.

I was heartbroken when I finally saw the car, as the photos show.  Total neglect.  Only good news it is in a dry building, up on blocks.

Even if she ever sells it, I imagine the motor would need to be gone through, supercharger rebuilt for bearings and seals, paint, does not have the original wheels, dash pad torn and probably mice, brakes. hog troughs, steering spindles, etc.  I was so disappointed - other cars in the building were approaching this condition also.

I would appreciate any suggestions on to the value of a car in this condition.  I am #1 on the list if she ever decides to sell.  R2, automatic trans.

Avanti 001.JPG

Avanti 002.JPG

Avanti 003.JPG

It looks like the car is basically all there.  You have to decide how much you can do yourself and how much you are willing to spend.  Personally, I have about twice invested in my car than I'll ever get back, all the (extensive) labor on my part being free; I don't regret a single penny spent.  These cars are an absolute joy to drive and always get great comments.  Good luck!

I'll have to agree with Ed. I think there is a better car under that crud than it appears. A lot of hard to find trim parts are there. Remember...  You have to clean the oyster to find the pearl!                                                                 Best Of Luck,  John C.

Thanks to all for replies.  As I said she doesn't want to sell right now, but I will remind her in a month of two.  I forgot to get the VIN/S/N, I was so excited to just see it after 40 years!  

As to what it's worth, I haven't found any comparable cars on the 'net, most have been worked on and dealer offers.  When the time comes, I'll let her throw a number out and we will go from there I guess.  Probably going to be a long winter - - - -