Fair value for this '63 avanti in need of restoration?

Frame tag is 63R 252x
40k miles, factory A/C R1, power windows, AM radio. 3-speed, White with fawn and orange interior.

My father was original owner, purchased new. Been in storage since the late 70s.
It hasn't been driven in years though. Interior it looks like would need to be replaced. Was garage kept, except for the past couple years.
Located on the East coast. I know that can be a factor. But I banged on a hog trough and it felt good. Little rust that I could see on the hog trough.

IMG_20240430_194227.jpg

IMG_20240505_095754.jpg

IMG_20240505_095749.jpg

IMG_20240430_195945.jpg

Edited by OpenRoad
typo

Man, I don't know if my opinion is worth much here, 

What I see/read wrong is 54 years of sitting and a few years in outside in Northern climate is sounding like a lot of resto going forward. You've got a good parts car or from someone far more ambitious than me a resto.

So maybe $4 to 5k and expect to get beaten down on that price.

I purchased a 64 R1, with A/C and auto, last fall for $4500. This car spent its life in Florida so frame, hog troughs etc were in great condition.

It was apart, but complete,  with a claimed rebuilt engine and transmission. There were many new parts in boxes including parking lamp assemblies,  body rubber gasket set and dash pad.

Your hog troughs seem to be ok, but the frame sure looks crusty.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

I purchased a 64 R1, with A/C and auto, last fall for $4500. This car spent its life in Florida so frame, hog troughs etc were in great condition.

Oh, I think I was looking at the original "bard find" thread. Looks great even with the layer of dust!

https://aoai.org/forums/topic/43609-i-would-like-to-let-the-avanti-world-know-i-have-a-barn-find-64-that-will-be-going-up-for-auction-in-november-it-is-a-64-r1-and-is-completely-apart-the-auction-will-be-in-hudson-fl-and-will-be-an-online-auction/

5 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

Your hog troughs seem to be ok, but the frame sure looks crusty.

That would something I was wondering about. I was presuming that the hog throughs are more often as issue. I don't know how thick they are, but they do sound not that substantial when knocking on it.

I don't know how the interior looks in pictures, but seems it would all need to be replaced. Feels like it couldn't be saved.

Edited by OpenRoad

A worthwhile restoration project for somebody who wants to do it. Please don't part it out.  Although it may be solid, the Frame is rusty and IMHO the hogtroughs are likely to be thinning out. Might I suggest, pumping the tyres, wash it all over, shift it off that block to a more bucolic setting and photograph the daylights out of it- the good as well as the bad. Offer it at a fair price and sell it to somebody on the condition they don't scrap it. Post it at $4500 firm and see how you fare.

Edited by Zedman

Posted (edited)

One problem is that it's lacking paper work.

22 minutes ago, Zedman said:

Please don't part it out.

Yeah, I'm really hoping the frame and hogtroughs are good enough where that would not be its fate.

Edited by OpenRoad

I agree with the others assessment of this Avanti… I’d only add that round light Studebaker Avanti are somewhat ‘hot’ items right now, and this one may not be all that difficult to put back into at least ‘driveable’ condition…. I’d peg it’s value at 5K with a clean title.

If I was in your position I’d be looking for someone young, energetic, capable of doing the work and capable financially who really wanted the car. Look for that person who is mature enough that won’t dismantle the car and quit. If I found that right person I would give him/her any break I could just to see it alive again.

7 hours ago, Nelson said:

If I was in your position I’d be looking for someone young, energetic, capable of doing the work and capable financially who really wanted the car. Look for that person who is mature enough that won’t dismantle the car and quit. If I found that right person I would give him/her any break I could just to see it alive again.

Well said!

15 hours ago, mfg said:

Well said!

I agree, in a ''perfect sellers" world, we would all like to see a project car go to someone able (financially physically, etc) to bring the car back to it's original glory. But the reality is, as sellers, we just want to get cashed out and don't have the option so much to choose a Buyer.

15 hours ago, mfg said:

Well said!