What is a 2001-7 Avanti called?

So the first 3 were called the AVX's what is the name of the Production Models. Are they also considered AVX's?

After '64' The Avanti II was introduced and thus called that. What is my '02' model referred to be?  Just an Avanti by Studebaker?

Edited by aardvark

On 3/2/2024 at 12:39 AM, aardvark said:

So the first 3 were called the AVX's what is the name of the Production Models. Are they also considered AVX's?

After '64' The Avanti II was introduced and thus called that. What is my '02' model referred to be?  Just an Avanti by Studebaker?

1963 & 1964    Studebaker Avanti

1965 thru 1983   Avanti II

1984 thru 1991    Avanti

2001 thru 2007   Avanti

AVXs are not Avantis.

Edited by regnalbob

That basically answers it, cept they are just Avanti;s with no other designation... cept the year?

Thus my '02' is a Studebaker Avanti... plain and simple? 

21 minutes ago, aardvark said:

That basically answers it, cept they are just Avanti;s with no other designation... cept the year?

Thus my '02' is a Studebaker Avanti... plain and simple? 

Only 1963 and 1964 model years are Studebaker Avantis.

Edited by regnalbob

Posted (edited)

Studebaker Avanti is on the door tag.. The rights were apparently purchased.

Edited by aardvark

Some…but not all…2001-2007 Avantis had the name Studebaker on the door tag.  My ‘02 did not so it must have been after Dec. 2001 when my car was assembled that the name was added.  

Avanti Motors also built one demonstrator “Studebaker XUV” intending to market it as a Hummer type vehicle.  I believe it was built on a Ford Super Duty chassis.  Whether the prototype XUV was functional beyond a display demonstrator seems an open question.  

So…at some point Mike Kelly must have obtained the rights to the Studebaker name.

Posted (edited)

Gun, ... That's my assumption as well,,, Interesting Yours didn't have the door tag,,, (actually it;s on the door frame by the latch assembly.)

I was just wondering if there was a referred to "Name" for my '02' like an AV3, AV4 or the sorts.... or just nothing.

Owning the Original '63' and the '02' are night and day different cars. Love em both for different reasons.                                                                                                     The '63' R2 is radical...      The '02' is refined.

Edited by aardvark

My '02 did have the door plate...it just didn't say Studebaker on it.  It had all the other information though.  I'm guessing either Mike Kelly hadn't secured the rights to the Studebaker name at that point or if he had...the plates hadn't been changed yet to reflect it.

Posted (edited)

Thanks...Gun.

Mine did amaze me when I saw "Studebaker" on the tag. Considering the Co went under in '64' it amazed me that they were re-using that name.

I've only had the car for 45 days and haven't had time to dig into the Vin and other numerical concerns. In another posting I did find John Hulls book and bought it. It's claiming 53ish units over 4 years,, Another source sez 72ish in year '02' alone. So I'm still not understanding that. I did PM John but heard He was getting elderly and just went thru a house fire. Thus He has not reached out to me,,, which is fine... (a prayer He is good and gets things together.)

One thought on that matter, is... Is there a ""Registry'' for Our cars? It might reveal where the numbers land wether over the 53 units in 4 years or not.      I own a Porsche 928 and they have a ''Registry" so questions on productions there are solidified.

But I started this thread to see if "We Have a Name"!

Edited by aardvark

Thanks.. I'm going there right now..  Ok I did..Only 12 from 2001-7... Only 6 from 01-04//

Not the best to determine numbers from... But thanks.

I think My Door tag answers the question.

The car is officially a Studebaker,, by the Avanti Motor Corporation.  I know this is "Bass Ackwards". I know some door tags have no reference to Studie. but Mine specifically calls this a Stude By Avanti Corp... Thus thus the Studie is the model of the Avanti Corp, while Avanti Corp was also trying to make a SUV from a Ford Chassis.

Thus the Avanti was the Corp and the '02' model was called Studebaker...

Sez it right there.

Am I missing something?

DSC_0002 (6).jpg

I don’t have a photo of the ‘02 I owned but it didn’t say Studebaker and was assembled in 12/01…so as I said before either Mike Kelly hadn’t yet secured the rights to the Studebaker name or was using up door tags without the name when mine was built.

Yeah I read what You said and agree. What I'm thinking is this timeline is when the transition happened and the Studebaker name was created.

Thus Yours was of No Name cept Avanti....and a year'ish later this happened.Hey. It's all I've been able to come up with and as said, a ....."Bass-Ackward""...way of looking at this.

It's like saying I own a ''Camaro Chevy''.. Weird eh?

Then back whey Yours was made they still seemed to refer to that '01' year loosely as AVX's even though it's agreed there were only 3 of those in 1999ish.

Hello All....  For what it's worth, I looked at my 2007 built on the Ford Mustang GT base and they have no reference to Studebaker but call it an "Avanti Convertible".   I also own a 1963 and it is nice knowing I have the production book ends....

image.jpeg.7a475e5cfdbf1dda4200b888d84ab48e.jpeg

Thanks for supplying this....R3 Forward.

Likewise I have a '63' R2..

My '02' is new to me and I'm just trying to find out info on it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm guessing Morrow must have been where the company was headquartered or incorporated at the time...maybe even the import location as the car would have been assembled in Mexico by that time.  

15 hours ago, jtheteacher said:

I knew Avantis were temporarily built in Villa Rica, GA starting in '02 , but what about Morrow, GA as listed on the '07's tag

From John Hull's book.

The 2007 Avanti was off to a grand start.

Avanti also established a U.S. headquarters and dealership in Morrow, Georgia, not far from its original Villa Rica location. Sales and marketing of the new Avanti in the U.S. would be handled here. At least 13 new vehicles were sold from this location.

Never thought that I'd see it on a '02 .... but, mine also says STUDEBAKER ! 🤔

148093 DataPlate.JPG

Yeah Gold...,, it threw me. The Mfg'r Is Avanti, Corp,, and the Car is a Studebaker.

Seems Bass-Ackwards , eh?

So to me, this answers the Posts question.... until R3 Forward introduced His door tag (above).