63 headlight trim on 72 Avanti II

Dan Williams

I have a 1972 Avanti II RQB 1882 with round headlight trim as was used on 1963 production.  I always have thought that my car might have been in an accident and the front end was repaired to with the 1963 trim.  In the Avanti magazine issue 203 there is an article about a 1972 or 1973 (identified as a 1972 in the pictures of the 2023 International meet attendees and as a 1973 in the article entitled Black Beauty on page 20 of the same issue with round headlight trim. One of the pictures shows the serial number to be RQB 1984. Was there an option to have round headlight trim in 1972 or 1973 when these cars were built?

7 hours ago, Dan Williams said:

I have a 1972 Avanti II RQB 1882 with round headlight trim as was used on 1963 production.  Was there an option to have round headlight trim in 1972 or 1973 when these cars were built?

The round headlight was not listed as a regular production option. However, it may have been a special order.

The build sheet might verify if it was factory installed. They are available from Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motor Cars, 248 349-4884

Most likely it was installed by a previous owner.

Dan, I can tell you for sure RQB 1984 was built with square headlight enclosures. I installed the round as that was the look I wanted. I can not tell you if it was an option. I seriously doubt it as there are very few Avanti II with round trim that I have ever seen.

Edited by Wasjunk

About ten years ago I stopped at Myer’s Studebaker in Ohio.  Besides receiving wonderful treatment by the Myers there was a ‘70s era Avanti II in the shop being converted to the ‘63 style round headlights for a customer.  I believe any Avanti II with the ‘63 front end treatment was done after leaving South Bend…either by customer preference or due to possible body damage.  I doubt there were any factory round bezel headlight post-Studebaker Avantis until the 2000 era cars.