Climate Control Fan Switch

Bob G

The fan control on my 1987 Convertible is loose and appears to not be attached to the housing.  Can you remove the climate control without taking out the dash?  Any ideas as to how to repair it?

Thanks

image.png.fdbef23ce16d13efe92418c571e7bd30.png

Hi Bob … same exact problem with mine … mechanic had to take the wood grain dash cover off to access … the unit is cheap plastic … when dash removed it exposes the unit … there’s two small thin side “ears” on the unit (one on each side if I recall) with holes that the screws go into to hold control unit  to backing plate … the plastic “ears” crack and disintegrate over time from pressure of pushing the units buttons as needed (for heat, defrost, a/c etc.) … crappy way/design that Avanti mounted the crappy designed Chrysler control unit.

Answer :  remove unit and replace with a good one and superglue thin metal washers to the back side of the ears where the screw goes thru to reinforce so doesn’t break next time … OR … if possible since you don’t claim unit doesn’t work but just a mounting issue … if not too bad try to super glue and repair with washers to the mounting holes.

I’m out of state but will ask mechanic to take pics if dash is still out of car … on many used units for sale on eBay you can see the broken mounts … hope this was some help … good luck ! Dan Meyers

Daniel,  

Thanks so much for this info.  If you can possibly send pictures when you get a chance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Bob

I'm trying to replace the evaporter coil in my 87.  But I cannot find what Chrysler model the HVAC box was sourced from.  Any ideas?

Don't think this has any connection with Chrysler.  I got a new heater core for my '88 from one of our great suppliers years ago - he bought all the factory excess from Youngstown.  Can't recall his name but he was from Wixom, MI.  He just might have the evap for you!

On plane heading back home … I’ll hopefully have for you Monday 

Back home … here’s pics of the units … you can see the good ones with the plastic what I call “mouse ears” intact and pics of others where they’ve broken off … mechanic buttoned up my dash but had these on the shelf to take pics of … anyway now hopefully this explains what could be the issue … hope this helps Bob … if I can be of any further help just let me know … Daniel

7EDB95CD-C9FE-4B7B-8C46-D9D129C09D04.jpeg

C15B8430-0655-44CE-AD86-2FCC10175690.jpeg

B970A6F1-16D6-4137-87D4-CCEF4A8D58F6.jpeg

40D91BFE-4DC8-4127-94B1-1DB0A7223457.jpeg

AEC7C0EA-DECC-40FB-A31A-0628621E08FA.jpeg

B045312F-F9FC-4433-A319-934883E30810.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sending these photos.  My mechanic doesn't think he can repair my unit. Any idea where I might be able to get a replacement?

Thanks,

Bob

My problem is with the fan switch lever. It has come off and fallen behind the face plate.  Can this be fixed if we remove the unit?

• 3 weeks later...

Where to find good new or used units …

have found all of mine on eBay … Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth on Fifth Avenues, Monaco’s, Imperials, Córdoba’s, Diplomats etc.  Just got to look and match from pics in ad … they’re out there, just gotta look through lotsa listings … good luck … Daniel

Looks like Silverstudes eBay link is close but  … similar but it doesn’t have the a/c buttons … Avantis would also have the a/c & max a/c buttons … Avantis had the nicer/fancier “chrome” buttons … my replacement has black buttons … seems to be same unit but not as fancy … was thrilled to find and works great … Daniel

• 1 month later...

I actually had a long talk with my mechanic and told him I really wanted my original unit rebuilt.  He had one of his technicians build a new frame around the control unit and mount the fan controller to the frame.  It works perfectly and looks like the original.

Thanks everyone for your assistance,

Bob