Avanti Pitman!

mfg

The steering pitman arm for a ......?...... with power steering is the same as the steering pitman arm for a Studebaker Avanti with power steering.

1) '59 Lark......2) '63 GT Hawk......3) '64 Daytona....or....4) '60 Lark

14 hours ago, 64studeavanti said:

IIRC, the GT Hawk and Avanti both use similar Ross steering boxes. So, I say 2) '63 GT Hawk.

Good thought, but that's not the one that fits!:(

1 minute ago, r1lark said:

I couldn't find any of the part numbers that matched the Avanti pitman arm. :(

Can't answer that....however, one of the above four choices is a direct interchange.:)

ANSWER.....A 1960 Lark power steering pitman arm is a direct interchange on a Studebaker Avanti....whether the Avanti has a manual steering box or a power (quick ratio) box.:)

Later post 61 Saginaw recirculating ball boxes have three spots on the pitman arm that have no splines so they only fit one way. I have broached splines in them and made them work. The pre 61 Larks had Ross steering boxes also. The Hawk pitman arm is longer and will change the steering ratio if used.

9 hours ago, brad said:

Later post 61 Saginaw recirculating ball boxes have three spots on the pitman arm that have no splines so they only fit one way. I have broached splines in them and made them work. The pre 61 Larks had Ross steering boxes also. The Hawk pitman arm is longer and will change the steering ratio if used.

Would a Hawk pitman arm installed on an Avanti quicken the steering or slow it?  Just trying to "think like a lever" I would guess it would quicken it.

--Dwight

On 2/6/2022 at 7:27 AM, mfg said:

ANSWER.....A 1960 Lark power steering pitman arm is a direct interchange on a Studebaker Avanti....whether the Avanti has a manual steering box or a power (quick ratio) box.:)

I should have looked at this sooner. I knew the answer!