Windshield and back glass

RQB1820

Hi all,

I've gotten 1820 stripped of most of it's glass and interior in preparation for paint, hopefully next summer. The seals for the windshield and back glass are as hard as ABS plastic and split in places. I'm not too concerned about the windshield as it has several BB pings and scratches and I plan on replacing it.... but I've not seen a back glass for sale anywhere and I don't want to damage this one.

Have any of you happened upon a trick to removing the glass without cracking it when the seals are this hard?

What technique did you use?

Thanks, Brad

Brad,

Step 1: Call two sure-handed friends.

I assume that you have new seals to install, and don't care about destroying the old ones. The seals are basically H-shaped, with one side holding the glass and the other over the body fence. I have found the safest method is to use a razor knife to cut away the leg of the H that is inside the body fence. Then push the glass out to your two friends who will carefully lift it away from the car.

Be nice to those two friends, because you will need them again for the installation. I think the method using the sash cord is the easiest for the install. I would suggest one hint... Before putting the seal on the glass, put some masking tape on the outside of the glass at bottom center, and on the body opposite it (for a couple of inches above and below). With the assistance of your friends, hold the glass in the opening and get it exactly centered. Draw a line on the two pieces of tape as a witness mark. Install the seal on the glass, and use the marks to center the glass when you first set it in place. This is particularly helpful for the rear window, eliminating trial and error where you get halfway up the side and realize the glass is an 1/8" too far to one side or the other. BTDT.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jim. I may need more than a razor knife on these seals. My blade just scored the seal where I attempted to cut a section. Maybe I need a brandy-new blade.

Regards, Brad

Do not forget to remove the screws from outside that are in the trim. They pass through to anchor plates inside the car and hold the glass in so it won't be sucked out at high speeds. If you forget to do this you will cause worse problems than broken glass!

Haha... those 911 guys crack me up. As I've owned several 928s over the years and am fiercely partial to them, I take perverse delight in the butt-draggers misadventures (though not in that fellow's necessitated surgery - ouch!).

I'm with Avanti83 above... cut, cut, and tennis shoes.