Where can I go to find Colonial Yellow paint for my 1983 Avanti?

DON GURY

Don, if you go to Paintref.com , with your vin # or a paint color code, you can find who produces that color and then locate it.

Worked for me on my '87

Thanks Tom.  Appreciate your quick and helpful response.  I don't have the paint code but I certainly have the vin #.  Will give a try.

If that doesn't work, take your Avanti to a reputable auto body supply company.....Most have special cameras that can be laid onto paint surface, take photo, then formulate a paint formula for that color....

A free service if you purchase the paint there!

Edited by mfg

Look on the bottom of the slide-out vanity tray in the glove box…or the back of the mirror itself.  Avanti Motors usually put a sticker under there with the factory color and code.  The big “if” is that if the sticker is still there or has fallen off over the years.  If there it may not be readable anymore.

Thank you for all your help.  Cannot find the color code anywhere.  Looks like the going to a paint supply house.

9 hours ago, DON GURY said:

Thank you for all your help.  Cannot find the color code anywhere.  Looks like the going to a paint supply house.

I have no idea what those special color formula cameras cost nowadays...but when they first came out (many years ago) I heard they cost $10,000 each!

11 hours ago, DON GURY said:

This may help in your search.

GM / General Motors Colonial Yellow / #eed69a Hex Color Code The hexadecimal color code #eed69a is a light shade of yellow. In the RGB color model #eed69a is comprised of 93.33% red, 83.92% green and 60.39% blue. In the HSL color space #eed69a has a hue of 43° (degrees), 71% saturation and 77% lightness.

My 83 did not have a slide out vanity. Did they start fazing them out then?  Didn’t look like it ever had one, no holes in the glovebox. I got one from Nostalgic, my wife thinks it’s handy!  Any other location for a paint code?

No idea where Avanti Motors might have placed the paint code on the car after they discontinued the vanity mirror.  By '83 Steve Blake had bought the company and changed many things.  The build sheet would probably have the color but possibly not the color code.  Most Avanti colors weren't custom to them...they were standard colors available to any auto maker.  The '70 I owned was painted 1970 Cadillac brown when new though it was silver when I purchased it and had it repainted Hyundai White Mica when it was rebuilt.  

many of these colors cannot be mixed using the original formulas due to EPA restrictions.

I usually do what MFG suggested and get a color scan done at a paint store as a result

On 2/8/2024 at 7:54 AM, regnalbob said:

This may help in your search.

GM / General Motors Colonial Yellow / #eed69a Hex Color Code The hexadecimal color code #eed69a is a light shade of yellow. In the RGB color model #eed69a is comprised of 93.33% red, 83.92% green and 60.39% blue. In the HSL color space #eed69a has a hue of 43° (degrees), 71% saturation and 77% lightness.

Wow I am do impresses.  Where did you come up with this great information??