1963 Avanti trunk latch assembly

Leonhardt

There's no other Studebaker whose trunk latch will interchange.  There are a number of Studebaker parts vendors you could call.  Jon Myer (Myer's Studebaker) in Ohio would be high on my list.  Also, Studebaker International (Indiana) and Stephen Allen's Studebaker in Florida.  There are others if you come up dry with those.

--Dwight

Jon Myer would be first on my list.  When I was at his place…admittedly some time ago…he had a number of parts Avantis behind the warehouses…so he may still have some good used parts.  He may even have NOS.  My next choice would be Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors.

The trunk latch on my ‘63 doesn’t always catch, and when it does, an unusual amount of pull on the cable is required to get it open. I’ve lubed the latch itself, but where are the lube points on the cable? Or is it just wise to replace it?

The cable may have stretched a bit over time.  I believe there’s some adjustment at the latch.  If nothing else replace the cable.  I believe at least one vendor sells a replacement cable of stainless steel.

17 hours ago, Tom Lassiter said:

The trunk latch on my ‘63 doesn’t always catch, and when it does, an unusual amount of pull on the cable is required to get it open. I’ve lubed the latch itself, but where are the lube points on the cable? Or is it just wise to replace it?

The old trick with motorcycles: inject oil with a syringe and a thin needle that fits between the shell and the cable. This way you can lubricate the entire cable. 

IMG_4591.jpeg

Edited by Leo B