Opinion (×2)

mfg

Here's a 'hot potato' for youse guys!!

.....To Avanti enthusiasts, which is really the most desired...'Round light' Studebaker Avantis, OR 'Square light' Studebaker Avantis??

(two cars in similar condition)

Edited by mfg
added text

Why not try both?  www.fivestarbodies.com has 'lifelike' decal graphics of large round and square headlights!  Look under "graphics". 😜

Type 'graphics' in Search bar and go to page 4 - Universal Headlights Graphics.

Edited by wdaly
more info

I'll take King Solomon's way...split the difference.  The round headlight design looks more sporty...the square headlight design looks more elegant.  I really liked the round headlight treatment my '02 had but thought the turn signals in the front bumper should have been in the fender blades like the originals.  

When the square headlight bulbs came out around '84-'85 I liked them at first but as time passed I liked them less and less.

I kind of agree with Gunslinger. The 63 is more sporty and the 64 more eloquent. The round light cars look masculine, brutal, and somewhat more correct. The squares lights look more refined or polished. What it boils down to for me is having both and then it doesn’t stop there. Then it’s color combinations and power trains, It just doesn’t stop. The cars aren’t cheap but they really aren’t expensive in comparison to similar collector cars. Garage space seems to be the limiting factor or maybe the wife.

Ha ha true!... How about this idea.. A round headlight Studebaker Avanti with round CHROME 'surrounds' around the headlight bulbs.....similar to the square chrome surrounds we find around the headlights of 'square light' Studebaker Avantis ?????

(Instead of the stock '63 body color headlight background)

20 hours ago, mfg said:

Here's a 'hot potato' for youse guys!!

.....To Avanti enthusiasts, which is really the most desired...'Round light' Studebaker Avantis, OR 'Square light' Studebaker Avantis??

(two cars in similar condition)

My answer depends on the question asked.  If the question is as posed, then my answer is "square-headlight Avantis."  If the question is: "Do you like round headlights or square headlights?" then my answer is round headlights."  The 1964 Avantis have a number of improvements, such as more comfortable seats, that tilt me toward the 1964s.

Plus, I am a "64 man."  I have 2 '64 Avantis, 3 '64 Hawks, and 1 '64 Cruiser.  The '64s are arguably the best post-war Studebakers.

Most Avanti enthusiasts seem to prefer the round headlights.  They give the car a more powerful look.  Both look darn good to me, though.

--Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

My answer depends on the question asked.  If the question is as posed, then my answer is "square-headlight Avantis."  If the question is: "Do you like round headlights or square headlights?" then my answer is round headlights."  The 1964 Avantis have a number of improvements, such as more comfortable seats, that tilt me toward the 1964s.

Plus, I am a "64 man."  I have 2 '64 Avantis, 3 '64 Hawks, and 1 '64 Cruiser.  The '64s are arguably the best post-war Studebakers.

Most Avanti enthusiasts seem to prefer the round headlights.  They give the car a more powerful look.  Both look darn good to me, though.

--Dwight

Hey, your fleet of '64 Studebakers sounds AWESOME...Hat's off!

And, I meant the question to be about the 'look' of the headlight area..... I agree with your thoughts on that.

14 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

I'll take King Solomon's way...split the 

When the square headlight bulbs came out around '84-'85 I liked them at first but as time passed I liked them less and less.

Yes, I agree...The square headlight bulbs (I own an '85) looked kind of nice when new....but the look doesn't seem to 'age' well!!

If I used my '85 more, I'd probably take the time to change the headlights back to round, with the chrome ('64 type) square bezels.

Edited by mfg
added text

On 11/30/2023 at 7:14 AM, mfg said:

If I used my '85 more, I'd probably take the time to change the headlights back to round, with the chrome ('64 type) square bezels.

What would be involved in that swap? If you're ever inclined to do it, I'll offer a couple more hands to help out.

12 hours ago, Geoff said:

What would be involved in that swap? If you're ever inclined to do it, I'll offer a couple more hands to help out.

Thank you!...but I don't think the conversion would be very hard..basically exchanging the rectangular headlight buckets for the earlier round type...and swapping the paInted plastic rectangular headlight bezels for the earlier metal chromed round type...The location of the two headlamp adjustment screws, and tension spring, would also need to be re- located.