Exhaust info needed

Jred

Currently running what I believe is the 2” nostalgic motors kit  my 1970, sbc350/700r4. The passenger side muffler is rattling around from a speed bump or drive way game of tag. My wife says riding in the car is making her nauseous so I’m looking into potential causes. The muffler being one, but it could also be a good time and excuse for an upgrade. 
Anyone upgrade to a 3” exhaust? I’d love to get a bit more sound out of the car with out being annoying. I’ll have to double check but I believe the mufflers are Magnaflow. 

I have used Don's Silvertone stainless steel 2 1/4" setup on my 83 and built a custom 2 1/2" on my 74. The major impediments to going over 2 1/2" is the availability of larger outlet sizes on the exhaust manifold and the unique "kink" needed to get the drivers side exhaust pipe to clear everything near the steering. If you want larger looking exhaust just go to the larger exhaust extensions.

Here's my posting on the 74. 

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/76100-74-avanti-sbc-t-56-2-1-2-exhaust-system-and-undercarriage

Control the sound with the mufflers. Currently the exhaust dumps down in front of the rear axle. Probably going to change that this year. 

Looks like this currently

74 exhaust.jpg

Edited by Avanti83

When I had my '70 I had a speed shop fabricate a 2.5" exhaust with Magnaflow mufflers.  You have to be careful as pipes that size have to be slightly flattened or squeezed when routed through the clearance openings in the X-frame so they don't strike it and rattle.  

When it comes to getting more sound...that's more a function of the muffler design than pipe diameter.  I considered Flowmaster mufflers but previous experience with them having a loud raspy sound led to me Magnaflow as they have a more subdued burble that open up with the rpm's.  

5 hours ago, Avanti83 said:

I have used Don's Silvertone stainless steel 2 1/4" setup on my 83 and built a custom 2 1/2" on my 74. The major impediments to going over 2 1/2" is the availability of larger outlet sizes on the exhaust manifold and the unique "kink" needed to get the drivers side exhaust pipe to clear everything near the steering. If you want larger looking exhaust just go to the larger exhaust extensions.

Here's my posting on the 74. 

https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/tech-talk/76100-74-avanti-sbc-t-56-2-1-2-exhaust-system-and-undercarriage

Control the sound with the mufflers. Currently the exhaust dumps down in front of the rear axle. Probably going to change that this year. 

Looks like this currently

74 exhaust.jpg

Nice looking car! does that tape on the exhaust really help with heat?

Thanks

I think I’ll keep the size of the exhaust tubing and replace the mufflers. I’m looking at the Super HP-2 mufflers at the moment. What I’m seeing is they aren’t raspy or droney in the cabin. 

Before looking at the exhaust really I thought I’d have to have to the shop install the mufflers but the kit is all bolt-together so I’m thinking I can simply install these mufflers? Unless I’m missing something. 

Picture of the passenger side muffler and clearance of the 700r4. Rotating the tubing should help. 

3F63EF6B-3927-41A5-A447-69DBE4CB4088.jpeg

C94823BC-2DD7-41DF-B470-DC675E413A41.jpeg

43 minutes ago, pantera928 said:

Thanks. Is that something available most anywhere?

DEI exhaust wrap. As good as these wraps get and prices are reasonable. I just use Google for pricing and where to buy.

Edited by Avanti83

1 hour ago, Avanti83 said:

Upon further review - I used the DEI Titanium exhaust wrap. Should have looked first.

Well thanks for double checking. Good thing I haven't ordered anything yet.😉

• 1 month later...

RQB3263/81/305   ...I recently had Myers Studebaker in Duncan Falls Ohio install all stainless steel dual exhaust system I believe from Canada.  PERFECT and sounds great...... did open the holes in the X member for clearance and no welding .....BILL in Fl