Battery for Avanti Underhood

Red63R3

Will be replacing the current contemporary battery under hood with one that is more to the original size/spec for the Avanti. Have heard of guys using John Deere tractor batteries that are close in size - also saw AC/Delco has some close to the old original spec. Any advise on getting the more traditional look under hood with a current/contemporary battery? Thanks Steve

Check out Antique Auto Battery Co. in Hudson, Ohio. They make gel cell (Optima type) batteries that look exactly like the OEM batteries that came with cars from the 1940s, '50s and '60s. Delco, Ford/Autolite, and in our case for Studebaker, Willard batteries.

The one made for Avanti is the 3EE long style battery. Like the Optima Battery, they use no water or acid. They lose very little power, so in a collector car that gets little use, you can get in your car after year, and the battery should still have power to crank over the engine.

Their 3EW/B battery for Studebaker 1962-63 Avanti dimension is 19x4.25x9" and had the "Willard" name on the side. Cold Cranking amps is 850.

See their website at: Antique Auto Battery

Will be replacing the current contemporary battery under hood with one that is more to the original size/spec for the Avanti. Have heard of guys using John Deere tractor batteries that are close in size - also saw AC/Delco has some close to the old original spec. Any advise on getting the more traditional look under hood with a current/contemporary battery? Thanks Steve

I got a quote for a 3EE Willard battery from Antique Battery Co. It will hit your wallet hard $255 for the battery plus another $41 shipping charge. Another Avanti owner with R3 sent me these pics of his engine bay using a Group 51 battery which is a smaller size used in late 80's to early 90's Honda Civic. The are available in stock or can be ordered at your FLAPS.

Group 51 battery dimensions are 9-3/8" long X 5-1/16" width X 8-3/4" height. I have found this size battery available as a maintence free battery with 625 cranking amps and 500 CCA and 6~8 years prorated warrenty (1st 3 yrs - replacement) for under $95.

post-8917-12878073219791_thumb.jpgpost-8917-12878073702413_thumb.jpg

It might cost more, but remember that you're lucky if a regular 3EE battery last 3 years! They often last less than that, especially in a vehicle that doesn't get daily use. This optima style batter will easily go 10 years or more, saving you the cost of 4-5 batteries in that time. and not to mention that it is stronger and provides better starts.

Lew

I have an Optima (labeled as an Interstate) in my other collector car and it has lasted 10+ years. And that's with it not being used much between Nov-March but kept in a heated garage. I can get away with a modern looking battery in that car because it's kept in a running board mounted battery box, but for a car as nice as the Avanti where it will be seen, I'd probably go with an Antique unit.

When this thread started, I called Antique and got a similar quote to the one above.

Just for the sake of comparison, how much is a regular Optima nowdays? I'd bet it's at least $100-125, narrowing the gap between the Antique Battery unit and a incorrect looking one.

Oh, a couple of years ago I asked the Optima/Interstate dealer if thay had a 3EE in a maintenance free unit, they said no.

Based on the longevity of my Optima, I'll probably get a miantenance-free unit from Antique. Sure it's expensive, but it looks right and if it's like my Optima, it will last forever.

I've seen an Avanti with two Optima 6 volt batteries in series...they fit very well in the space for a 3EE battery. The issue is the Optima 6v batteries are very expensive...not at all cost effective, at least to me.

Thanks everyone - the Optima Group 51 option is really attractive due to the space and weight savings - think I'll pursue that route. That 3EE is SO big and heavy - don't need any more

weight in the nose than already have - and this is a driver so no worries on picky judges.

• 1 month later...

I'm restoring one exactly, same color only it's a R2 as yours. I converted my battery from the trunk to the front. I got my battery from Car Quest, part#3EE30. It cost me $87.32 + tax with my employee discount. It fits perfect.