Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tcgoesch

Rear View Mirror Location

Recommended Posts

My rear view mirror is in the wrong place. It is up at the to of the windshield in the shade band area. What is the correct dimension from the lower moulding of the windshield/dash? I was able to pop the mirror off of the glass with no issues to either parts. The connecting link between the mount and mirror has very long screws in it. They stick out about 5 mm. Seems way too long. Thanks in advance for your help.

 

Tom Goesch

64 R-1 White

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tcgoesch said:

My rear view mirror is in the wrong place. It is up at the to of the windshield in the shade band area. What is the correct dimension from the lower moulding of the windshield/dash? I was able to pop the mirror off of the glass with no issues to either parts. The connecting link between the mount and mirror has very long screws in it. They stick out about 5 mm. Seems way too long. Thanks in advance for your help.

 

Tom Goesch

64 R-1 White

I believe that there are two correct answers to this.  The mirror was originally placed in a low position on the windshield.  Service Bulletin F-1964-7 authorized/described a new location higher up on the windshield to improve the  view to the rear.  Make a mark 3 1/2 inches down from the upper windshield weatherseal at the windshield center line.  Position the mirror base so that its top is at the mark.  

The screws have probably been changed.  There is a different Service Bulletin (F-1963-18) describing adding washer to the screws to tighten up the assembly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, tcgoesch said:

My rear view mirror is in the wrong place. It is up at the to of the windshield in the shade band area. What is the correct dimension from the lower moulding of the windshield/dash? I was able to pop the mirror off of the glass with no issues to either parts. The connecting link between the mount and mirror has very long screws in it. They stick out about 5 mm. Seems way too long. Thanks in advance for your help.

 

Tom Goesch

64 R-1 White

I'll check and post that dimension on my 1963 Avanti (up from the LOWER inside weatherstrip) later today. (if no one else answers you first)....Right now it's 9'F. outside!!:o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfg said:

I'll check and post that dimension on my 1963 Avanti (up from the LOWER inside weatherstrip) later today. (if no one else answers you first)....Right now it's 9'F. outside!!:o

Not that warm here!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, studegary said:

Not that warm here!

 

Yes, you've got to be TOUGH to live in this climate...(Brrrrrr...glad I've got the day off!!:D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone post copies of bulletins # F-1964-7 and # F-1963-18. Thanks!

BTW, Sorry about your cold temperatures, but not as  bad as my wifes feet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, schuyler said:

Can someone post copies of bulletins # F-1964-7 and # F-1963-18. Thanks!

BTW, Sorry about your cold temperatures, but not as  bad as my wifes feet!

On my '63, the distance between the OUTSIDE stainless steel LOWER windshield moulding to dead center of the rearview mirror mounting 'stub' is... 3 1/2 inches.

I use the original '63 Avanti 'small' rearview mirror, which, in reality, doesn't really work very well!:(

To drive an Avanti  more safely, I believe the rearview mirror should be the 'standard size' day-nite type, and it should be mounted near the TOP of the windshield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfg said:

On my '63, the distance between the OUTSIDE stainless steel LOWER windshield moulding to dead center of the rearview mirror mounting 'stub' is... 3 1/2 inches.

I use the original '63 Avanti 'small' rearview mirror, which, in reality, doesn't really work very well!:(

To drive an Avanti  more safely, I believe the rearview mirror should be the 'standard size' day-nite type, and it should be mounted near the TOP of the windshield

You are answering the question as posed.  I gave the recommended (by Studebaker) placement of the mirror.  We both agree that visibility is improved with the mirror placed higher.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At 6’5”, the rear view mirror in my Grand Cherokee blocks out a large part of my front view out the windshield. I have to duck a bit when approaching intersections. That doesn’t seem safe to me. I have thought about lowering the mirror on my Avanti since I would rather be able to see traffic than the hood. I would think unless you are going for show points put it where it works best for you. 

The best thing about the cold is when it starts to warm up!  We’ve been pretty lucky so far this winter in eastern Washington.  Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regnalbob,

Thanks for posting the bulletins about the mirror. Is there a source for copies of all of these Avanti related service letters?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is one available.  I have a copy of all Avanti service letters but I can't remember where I obtained it.  It might have been from Studebaker International, the Studebaker National Museum, the SDC or AOAI International meet or somewhere else.  Right now I have no idea where my copy is stored away.

If you can't come up with one continue to ask questions here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank to all who answered my post! As soon as the cold snap passes and I can heat the garage to 70 deg, I'll get it back together.

 

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...