AndyM

Quadrajet options

9 minutes ago, arkus said:

after more research i found what i think you were using; edlebrock #2732 adapter. my only concern is that edlebrock expressly says it is used for edlebrock intakes. not ANY spread bore intake, but edlebrock. wonder why they were specific?

I haven't purchased one in some time, but they used to be off the rack items at stores like Auto zone or Advance Auto, etc.

However, if you can't locate one, you can MAKE one by utilizing 1/16" or even 1/8" sheet aluminum (or steel), and tracing out the adapter using an Edelbrock carb-to-manifold mounting gasket as a pattern.....Then use the correct size hole saws for the primary and secondary barrel holes, then drill the four 5/16" carb-to-manifold mounting holes.

Trim the outer perimeter of your 'new' adapter to closely match the base gasket...... and there you have it!........Ed:)

29 minutes ago, arkus said:

after more research i found what i think you were using; edlebrock #2732 adapter. my only concern is that edlebrock expressly says it is used for edlebrock intakes. not ANY spread bore intake, but edlebrock. wonder why they were specific?

Things like this are pretty generic.....It's fortunate for us that the Carter AFB/Edelbrock/Rochester Quadrajet carbs all have the same carb-to-manifold mounting bolt pattern.

And, of course, Edelbrock wants to sell intake manifolds!!:D

thanks, after viewing the #2732 i decided to make my own, thinking i'd rather have the 4 holes than an open plenum. probably no difference, i just like the idea. there has to be a reason why both styles are made available.

1 minute ago, arkus said:

thanks, after viewing the #2732 i decided to make my own, thinking i'd rather have the 4 holes than an open plenum. probably no difference, i just like the idea. there has to be a reason why both styles are made available.

I agree....having a 'full base' platform gives better support for the stock Carter/Edelbrock mounting gasket.....Good luck with this!.......Ed:)

Hey all,

So we got into the carb replacement yesterday.  Had to cut off the fuel line at the carb, as the tube was fused to the flare nut and we couldn't get it loose.  We tried to bend a new one, but our bending tool was a POS, so I ordered this one from Summit racing, which looks like a match: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CST-CAC1016-OE

Anyway, when we removed the flare nut from the fuel pump, fuel started pouring out.  Is that normal?  I assumed it would only leak the fuel from the line and in the old carb, but it was at least a half cup or more and still flowing strongly until we got it plugged.  The other two lines into the fuel pump (assuming a supply line and a return back to the tank?) also let fuel flow out of them easily, as if it was just pouring out of the tank.  One of those lines (the one closer to the carb line/tube) had a rubber section between the fuel pump and the hard line back to the tank which was all broken down, so we replaced that 6" rubber piece, but we had to keep a finger stopper on the fuel pump as well as on the fuel line to keep them from flowing.  I was under the impression that without the sending unit or fuel pump actually operational and powered up, very little fuel would leak, but clearly I'm wrong.  How do we keep fuel from getting everywhere as we work on the fuel lines???

Remember that the tank sets high behind the rear seat and the vent line enters the top of the tank but goes quite low to be under the fuel level so it can also siphon back. My personal favorite method is to drain the tank down until there is no problem. Recall there is a drain plug in a tee under the passengers door. If you have an old piece of hose on the bottom of the tank, this is a good time to change it. If you think you have a leak now, imagine what it would be like if the hose under the tank let go.

45 minutes ago, Avanti83 said:

Recall there is a drain plug in a tee under the passengers door.

I hand't known that, thanks!  Is it to drain the lines or the tank?

1 hour ago, AndyM said:

Both!.....be real careful when dealing with gasoline!!.....Have neoprene 'push on' plugs ready to cap off hard lines before tearing in!:o

4 hours ago, AndyM said:

Ed is correct, It's the low spot in the system so you'll get almost everything. But you should know that if you are replacing the hose under the tank there will be a pint to a quart of gas left in it.