Packed Avanti!

mfg

When installing an aftermarket muffler on a Studebaker Avanti, (say a Thrush glasspack from the local auto parts store), the optimum tip-to-tip length of that muffler should be...........?

1) 24"......2) 25".....3) 26" ....or....4) 28"

I had a NOS set of "loud" Avanti mufflers a while back, still in the boxes, which I sold on eBay. But I didn't measure them. Actually wish I'd kept them now and used them on my '64 Daytona hardtop.........but I digress.

Anyway, if I remember correctly the length of a stock late model Studebaker muffler is about 27-1/2" or so. Assuming the Avanti mufflers were the same length as other Studebakers, I'll say #4, 28".

9 hours ago, r1lark said:

I had a NOS set of "loud" Avanti mufflers a while back, still in the boxes, which I sold on eBay. But I didn't measure them. Actually wish I'd kept them now and used them on my '64 Daytona hardtop.........but I digress.

Anyway, if I remember correctly the length of a stock late model Studebaker muffler is about 27-1/2" or so. Assuming the Avanti mufflers were the same length as other Studebakers, I'll say #4, 28".

Sorry, #4 is incorrect.....and I sure wish I knew you had those NOS Avanti mufflers for sale!:(

Any other ideas here?

i have a set of nos mufflers; don't know their noise level, but can provide you with the part numbers if interested.

20 hours ago, arkus said:

i have a set of nos mufflers; don't know their noise level, but can provide you with the part numbers if interested.

Always interested!.......Thanks!:)

Funny story concerning a 'loud' Avanti muffler. When my brother graduated from high school in 1965, my parents told him that they would either buy him a car or send him to college. He had already decided to go into the Marines, so he chose the car. He wanted a sports car. At the time, my family had a Studebaker/Mercedes dealership (and had taken on Toyota and Datsun, since they saw the writing on the wall for Studebaker) but he didn't want a Mercedes sports car ("they were for women" he said :)). He chose a Triumph TR3A, a couple year old car that the dealership had took in on trade for a new car. Anyway, it needed a muffler, so on went an Avanti "loud" muffler from the dealer parts stock. You could hear that car coming way before you could see it! For some reason, that 4 cylinder engine really barked with that Avanti muffler. :D

3 hours ago, r1lark said:

Funny story concerning a 'loud' Avanti muffler. When my brother graduated from high school in 1965, my parents told him that they would either buy him a car or send him to college. He had already decided to go into the Marines, so he chose the car. He wanted a sports car. At the time, my family had a Studebaker/Mercedes dealership (and had taken on Toyota and Datsun, since they saw the writing on the wall for Studebaker) but he didn't want a Mercedes sports car ("they were for women" he said :)). He chose a Triumph TR3A, a couple year old car that the dealership had took in on trade for a new car. Anyway, it needed a muffler, so on went an Avanti "loud" muffler from the dealer parts stock. You could hear that car coming way before you could see it! For some reason, that 4 cylinder engine really barked with that Avanti muffler. :D

Not Avanti or muffler related, but related to Paul's story.  A friend of mine graduated from high school in 1957.  He decided not to go to college.  His parents told him to go down to the Pontiac dealer, where they did business, and pick out whatever car they had that he wanted.  He ended up with a new 1957 Bonneville convertible (w/ FI) [one of 630].  My best friend from high school was going to college.  He also wanted a sports car.  I got him a near new TR3A through the used car dealership that I worked at part time.  My friend drove that car for many years including to and from Texas (from NY) to college.

When my car was rebuilt in 1985 it had a set of glass packs, probably some original Cherry Bombs and 2 beautiful exhaust tips fitted up. The mufflers were actually TOO loud for the neighborhood so I had the exhaust completely replaced. I know, BOOOOO! But I kept the mufflers and the tips and they will go back on another car. My wife didn't like the change out either. She says now she can't here it when I come and go from my garage.

Edited by StudeNorm

I like a car that when you start it, the ground shakes under it.  The Magnaflows on my '70 Avanti do that without being too loud and raspy sounding.  The sound does open up at speed but as it was said in the movie "Gumball Rally"..."What's behind you doesn't matter!"

ANSWER......The optimum tip-to-tip length of an aftermarket muffler which would directly fit a Studebaker Avanti's 'stock' exhaust system is 26".....although a 25" muffler would also work OK!