Antenna Radio Static

Devildog

On my 75 I have an intermittent radio static, static most of time on both AM and FM...of course worse on AM. I have short periods <5 minutes when the static stops on both AM and AM. Alternator speed or charge rates is no factor.

I will have clear signal, but sometimes road bump with initiate the static. I think it is a lose antenna connection.

Where is the antenna and antenna cable routing? Original radio and works well.

Thanks

Joe

Edited by Devildog

The antenna cable routes along the driver side of the console in a channel formed into the floor pan. It then goes under a notch under the back seat cushion, then under the seat, behind the panel between the seat back and the gas tank. Then it goes through a channel that runs between the inner and outer body panels on the left rear side and exits by the antenna.

The static can come from a deteriorated antenna cable, a bad ground connection somewhere or possibly a bad noise condenser. Since the static doesn't change with engine rpm's, it's not alternator noise but could be ignition noise.

Does your car have the ignition shielding in place? If it's not there or not firmly grounded it won't protect against ignition noise in the radio.

Where is the antenna and antenna cable routing?

My '71 antenna is on the left rear fender, isn't yours?

It extends down into the trunk and is accessible from inside the trunk (although it may be difficult to access the antenna cable's attachment to the mast).

The antenna cable travels (inside the car) beside electrical cables in a narrow channel in the floor beside the left side of the driveshaft hump, crosses to left at base of fuel tank shelf behind the rear seatback, and enters the trunk via a hole just to the inside of the wheel well, about 8 inches or so below the package shelf. I don't think there are any junctions in the antenna cable,

Edited by WayneC

Joe

You could look for a wire taped around the front or rear glass which is the old style hidden antenna or this, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JE4GQ24?psc=1 whichis what I use on my cars as I remove the fender antenna on them.

It works quite well but if mounted under the dash or front area anywhere would be prone to the problems you describe. I always mount mine at the top of the rear window and they work quite well.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

My '78 has no antenna mast. What I found is that they used the stainless steel molding around the rear glass as the antenna. Above the left quarter panel, the screw through the molding is a machine screw, with a wire connected to it on the inside. I don't know if this was frequently done on on '78 models, or models from other years. Anyone else have this?

I believe the back window trim was used for the antenna in the mid 70's models as my 76 has.

Devildog mentions that he has no antenna mast, so his '75 may have the "window trim" antenna, too. The most likely loose connection may be where the antenna wire is connected to the screw that goes through the molding.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, mine uses the rear window molding as the antennae. I just tightened the connection which help both the FM and the AM fade. Still a bit of ignition noise on the AM. I will clean the connection and then check connection under dash.

Again, thank to all of you...never would have found the trim/antennae without much time.

Joe