brake cylinder diameter

dazavant

What I found out some years back is that parts manufacturers have consolidated parts numbers rather than stock specific parts for specific cars.  Just because a parts fits physically doesn't mean it's correct.  I found that out on the '70 Avanti and '69 Corvette I owned.  Parts books showed the rear wheel cylinders for the Avanti were the same as the front cylinders for certain Jeeps...wrong!  While the Jeep wheel cylinder looked and fit the same they had a bigger bore diameter and the rear brakes locked up immediately from the added fluid pressure.  

You have two options...get an adjustable brake proportioning valve and experiment to find the right front/rear pressure or go to Myers Studebaker or Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors and order correct wheel cylinders.  That will be a bit more expensive but it will also fix your problem without experimentation.  

IIRC, there are also 7/8" rear wheel cylinders that fit the 11" rear drum brakes on an Avanti.  Perhaps they were used on a Studebaker truck???

Someone else would have to address the question of whether it is a good idea to use them on an Avanti.

Perhaps the 7/8" rear cylinders would work with the larger Sumitomo front cylinders???

--Dwight

Hi Dazavant- You haven't declared the cylinders are defective/pitted/leaking so I'm assuming they are. You might consider getting the originals sleeved in Stainless steel or brass and re-kitted. I would caution using larger diameter cyls because it will alter the amount of fluid needing to be pushed into 'em (longer pedal stroke) and alter the braking characteristics.  Of course this will run into a bit of money but... Brakes.. Mate ! 😉