Upgraded dash-console on our 1982 Avanti II

One of the things that I wanted to update on our 1982 Avanti II were the dash and console wood.  The Italian Ash was warped, cracked and one piece was missing.  I had replaced a few gauges since they weren’t working when I bought the car and the new ones had whiter letters and were brighter at night as well.  So I decided to replace the remaining gauges, replace the wood and replace all the dash and console lights with modern symbol marked / colored LED lights from “Alpinetech”.  Their LED lights are available on Amazon, in chrome or black in 5/6” or 1/2” diameter.  I used mostly 5/6” except for the 1/2” emergency brake light and the check engine light in the dash and console.  I removed and deleted the old console broken “seat belt light” as well.

After several weeks of looking, I could not find Italian Ash 1/8” thick wood, so I went with a multilayer synthetic/ABS sheet.  Next was to remove all the gauges, the dash panel, and do the same with the console.  Then (and with care) I slowly removed the glued down Ash wood so that I would have a pattern to cut the ABS sheet.  ( I taped up all the damaged areas as I removed the old wood to keep the pattern accurate).  Once all the wood was off, then I used it as patterns to mark the ABS sheet so I could cut each piece out.  At this stage, I took a break to refinish the dash and dash end caps since they needed it.

Next was to invest in a Harbor Freight 16 in. Variable-Speed Scroll Saw to cut the ABS and it worked like a champ.  Once each piece was cut out and trimmed as needed, I then glued each panel on using Gorilla Clear Glue and let them sit overnight.  The next day, I cut out all the small light holes for the new LED lights, gauge holes and then installed all the panels and gauges back in.  I really like the new look and went one step further by purchasing a Lecarra leather covered, 2 spoke vintage steering wheel which exposes the dash more and looks better to me than the old Momo 3 spoke wood wheel.

I am very satisfied with this upgrade and have enough ABS sheet left to do one more car completely that I can offer for sale to anyone interested. 

pattern.jpg

Dash 1.jpg

console.jpg

dash 2.jpg

I thought about inquiring on the overlays too, but my AC panel and shifter panel are different, and doing the instrument panel would be a real chore. I'll be glad to be rid of my plastic GMC wheel though!

You did an outstanding job, nice enough I'm sure if you wanted the extra work you could advertise that service. Thanks for posting

On 8/26/2024 at 1:06 PM, John D said:

I thought about inquiring on the overlays too, but my AC panel and shifter panel are different, and doing the instrument panel would be a real chore. I'll be glad to be rid of my plastic GMC wheel though!

Well you bought my swheel, so that's taken care of.  If you want to pull all the panels and send them to me, I'd consider doing the inserts like I did on mine, I just need to figure out a price.

19 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Where did you find wood grain ABS?

THanks

Decorative Plastics.   I have enough to do another complete car if you want it.  $50 plus shipping.

I have a set of black 25th anniversary dash pieces for my 83. The instrument panel is flat and needs to be bent. Something one needs to get right the first time!  Mike

On 9/1/2024 at 8:57 AM, Footer said:

I have a set of black 25th anniversary dash pieces for my 83. The instrument panel is flat and needs to be bent. Something one needs to get right the first time!  Mike

I'd remove the existing gauges from the aluminun dash panel and take it along with the black panel to a quality sheet metal shop and see if they can bend it for you.