Muffler question

Bozman

My 71 Avanti 2 currently has a pair of “cherry bomb” glass pack type mufflers. Although the engine sounds great, the loudness is just too much for my wife and I.  I don’t want to make the car too quiet, or loose all of it’s roar.  I wonder if anyone has any recommendations for a nice sounding pair of mufflers that would fit the car, ones that would say “sporty Car” without waking up all of the neighbors .

Thanks

Bill

I replaced the entire exhaust system on my 82 and the muffler shop used a pair of Thrush Turbo mufflers with it.  No cat, 2 1/4" pipes.  It's much quieter than a cherry bomb would be yet still has plenty of sound.  Most Turbo mufflers are louder than a stock muffler, but nothing like a glass pak.

• Thrush® Turbo Muffler
  • Thrush® Turbo Muffler

I have used two pair of Flowmaster Super HP-2 mufflers on my -63. The long ones in normal position and the short ones as resonators, further back in front of the rear axle. The annoying exhaust drone went comletely away and gave a slighly more mellow exhaust tone, without loosing the engines caracteristics. Driving long distances is now a real pleasure! From the outside, the car still sounds like it should, with the real sound of the V8. You can get these mufflers in either 409S stainless steel case or 304S stainless steel and in the sizes 2.00 inch, 2.25 inch and 2.50 inch. I have a Silvertone exhaust system from Don Simmons (in 409S stainless steel), but choose my own mufflers, and it fits very well together and in the frame.

Marcus A

Sweden

RQB3263/81

MIKE MYERS INSTALLED AN ALL STAINLESS STEEL  REAL TRUE DUEL EXHAUST SYSTEM INC MUFFLERS 2 YRS AGO ... PERFECT FIT KIT I THINK FROM CANADA...

HIGHLY RECCOMMENDED

IMG_2992.jpg

I had Magnaflows on my ‘70…great sound.  I found Flowmasters have a loud, raspy sound.  The Magnaflows had a nice, low burble at idle but opened up at speed.

Walker makes a "Quiet flow" muffler that is supposed to flow better than a stock muffler, but be much quieter than a glass pack.  They are available in different sizes, from the usual suspects.  I haven't tried them yet, but plan to.

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

Thank you all for the great advice!  I’m currently planning on adding a couple of short Magnaflow mufflers behind the glass pacs. I’m hoping that they will cut pack on the exhaust volume without interfering with performance. I’ll let you know

thanks

Bill

Spin Tech also make good mufflers which don't lose performance. They have quite a few options though and the differences vary the volume & tone. If you go that route make sure you select carefully. I had a Spin Tech 3000 series on a Mk1 Rabbit GTI once and enjoyed the heck out of it.

I plan on using either the 3000 or 6000 series Spin Tech mufflers on my Avanti when it's up and running. I may also run electronically actuated "dumps" and Silvertone's loud option upstream of the pair of Spin Tech, so I have obnoxious mode.

https://spintechmufflers.com/

Just two days ago I received two Thrush glass pack mufflers ordered from Summit.

These will be installed on the ‘56 Stude Golden Hawk I’m restoring.

I run these same mufflers on my ‘55 Speedster, my ‘63 Avanti, and my ‘83 everyday driver Avanti.

I think they produce a nice mellow sound.. and other folks have also given the exhaust tone a ‘thumbs up’ !

Their casing seems to hold up a long time,  they are relatively inexpensive ($26), and stand up well with a stainless exhaust system.

I added two short manga flow mufflers after the glass packs in front of the rear axle, they probably made it too quiet, still has a little rumble at idle, very quiet when cruising.  I think we’ll get more use out of the car now though.  Thanks everyone for the great input!

Bill