Upgraded Front and Rear Swaybars

DWR46

I have two '64 Avantis, one with the larger anti-roll bars, the other with the original ones.  Both have 215/70-R15 BF Goodrich Radial T/A tires.  The ride is the same on the two cars, but the car with the larger anti-roll bars definitely leans less in the curves and I much prefer that.  I did not install them, however, so don't know about any problems.  I can probably take some pix.  I am tied up tomorrow (Sat.) and it's going to rain on Sunday & Monday.

--Dwight

The larger diameter bars do change the handling to a much firmer stance.  If you add super duty shocks, like Bilsteins or Konis, cornering feels like you're on rails.  One negative result I had was that the rear strut L-channel on the passenger side was ripped loose from the frame, so  both rear mounts were reinforced.  

i installed the rear sway bar but the front bar would not fit unless it was bent quite severely so I am using the stock front bar.  To install the rear bar I did have to bend the supports for the stabilizer bars to get the correct angle for it to line up and reinforce the welds - see the attached picture.  I also am going with Koni shocks all around.

rear sway bar.gif

RQB3263/81/305   .. GREAT JOB ... PLEASE TELL US ABOUT THE  REAR DISC BRAKES !! IS IT A CONVERSION/KIT OR STOCK ....ENQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW ....I HAVE WANTED TO CONVERT 3263 FOR A LONG TIME BUT COULDNT FIGURE OUT HOW ...I WANT TO KEEP THE ORIGINAL REAR (2.72 GEAR)... BILL IN FLORIDA .... HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE  !!

IMG_2502.jpg

The bars were installed by myself.  The rear wasn't any problem, but recall the front was a bit of work.    When the rear broke loose, I repaired the torn section of frame underplate wt\ith 10 gauge rolled steel, tack welded the strut back and also drilled the side frame flange and installed 3/8", grade 8 bolts.

On 12/17/2023 at 9:52 AM, Footer said:

Were the heavier bars a factory option, and if so why wouldn’t they be an easy swap?  I bought a set for my car but haven’t installed them yet. Thanks, Mike

Thicker sway bars were factory installed on the '84 - '85 model year Avantis.

4 hours ago, Footer said:

So did Tanda have issues with fit because of aftermarket bars or are the factory bars difficult to work with?

I've never removed the sway bars from my '85..but they appear to fit the suspension just like the thinner ones do......(the '84's and 5's also came equipped with the 'short' steering arms)

My issues, I believe,  came from the bars being aftermarket. The one in the rear was just off enough in fit that I had to bend the tabs to make it work. The front however was so far off there was no way it could be installed without some serious bending which would have defeated the purpose of the bar. It may have just been a defective bar not sure. Since I have heavy duty springs, koni shocks, new bushings, etc. in the front I don't think the bar will make that much of a difference. Guess I will find out when I finish the project hopefully next year.