Power Steering Air Lock

1inxs

I have been dealing with an issue with erratic steering in my 1981 Avanti II. When I purchased the car, it had leaked much if not all of the fluid. After adding the fluid, I rotated the steering wheel back and forth until the pump quieted. On the test drive it would drive fine and as I entered a mild bend in the road, where without warning would pull sharper to the inside of the curve. It does it in a left or right curve. 

Has anyone experienced this and is it possible to have an air lock in the steering ram? It appears that everything is tight in the steering and front end!

Your help would be appreciated.

Robert

81 Avanti.jpg

Kodjo,

A front end alignment shop as well as myself have had it on a lift and other than a couple bushings, It appears that everything is tight in the steering and front end!

Mfg, can you elaborate on that? What is the process for adjusting?

Thanks Guys

18 minutes ago, 1inxs said:

Kodjo,

A front end alignment shop as well as myself have had it on a lift and other than a couple bushings, It appears that everything is tight in the steering and front end!

Mfg, can you elaborate on that? What is the process for adjusting?

Thanks Guys

Adjustment for this is described in shop manual (which I won't have access to till tomorrow) but I believe if that end nut is too tight, car can 'dart'.

Great! I really appreciate the direction. I’ll see if any of my manuals address the adjustment and will look to resolving the problem. Darting is a good word for what I’m dealing with.

Thank you

Robert

8 hours ago, Kodjo said:

Would the effect of an mis-adjusted valve also show on the driveway? I would say so. 

I haven’t pulled my manuals out yet. What does the adjusting nut do? I can be at any random point in the curve, when without warning the car darts to the inside. That’s why I mentioned air lock. A large air bubble trapped in the center of the ram, that randomly allows the shaft to move to the pressure side.

I never heard of anyone here that suffered from air bubbles in the servo. Did you check the wheel alignment?

If you are sure it is in the servo, why not pull the belt from the pump and try that.

Edited by Kodjo

On 3/6/2023 at 7:50 AM, 1inxs said:

Has anyone experienced this and is it possible to have an air lock in the steering ram? It appears that everything is tight in the steering and front end!

Thanks for you reply! I have attached my original question! An air bubble in the RAM was my question. This technology isn’t so different from other car power steering technology. I own 3 Avantis and only this one has the dangerous squirrely steering. Maybe it’s time to part this one out! Or take it out in a field film it as I burn it. Maybe my video would go viral, Lol!

Most the guys that knew how to work on these have passed away and it’s getting tough to keep them on the road.

Edited by 1inxs

RQB3263/81/305 .....   3263  IS AN 81 and has always been somewhat squirrely..... Ive discussed this with every x-pert I can and its always the same .... the front suspension is 50's vintage stude Lark king pin ..... you can rebuild it, tighten everything up, keep it greased, but it   will always float....some more than others but this problem if built into this ancient design ....to my knowledge there is no reasonable fix .... replace the rag joint, adjust, tighten, lube often and live with it....... this eliminates texting and driving ..... if you find a solution short of a frame off engine out restoration we all would like to hear about it...  BILL in FL.. 

On 3/11/2023 at 6:18 AM, 1inxs said:

Thanks for you reply! I have attached my original question! An air bubble in the RAM was my question. This technology isn’t so different from other car power steering technology. I own 3 Avantis and only this one has the dangerous squirrely steering. Maybe it’s time to part this one out! Or take it out in a field film it as I burn it. Maybe my video would go viral, Lol!

Most the guys that knew how to work on these have passed away and it’s getting tough to keep them on the road.

My idea...

I would guess your control valve if everything is connected properly. I think an air bubble would work it's way out after a couple of lock to lock turns

FYI, my 1980 is not squirrelly at all and has a very small amount of play going down the road straight. Not enough to hardly notice

• 2 months later...

My 1981 Avanti is getting closer to handling like my 1964. I removed the bellcrank bracket with shaft and cleaned it with solvent. It was still tight and rotated smoothly. When I removed the 7/16” - 20 x 2-1/4” pinch bolt , it was only snug. I doubt it even had 25 ft lbs of torque. The threads were buggered up, so I purchased a new replacement. When I got it all put back together, new zerk fitting, greased properly and torqued to 65 ft lbs and took it out for a test drive. I put nearly 70 miles on it today and the steering feels much better. It still doesn’t seem 100%, but I’m hoping that it just needs to be aligned to clear up the steering completely. But the excessive play was pretty much eliminated with the proper torque of the Bellcrank pinchbolt.