Tire & Wheel Size Recommendations

Desert Driver

I'm thinking of going to either a 16 or 17 inch wheel, and wondering what tires would be best for road handling without a harsh ride. The original 15 inch Magnum 500s are showing their age. Current tire size is P205/75R15, and the speedometer displays accurately. A sportier stance is my objective. Any suggestions from those who have made such a change?  

I haven't made that change, but I investigated it 2 years ago for a Jaguar XJS when I was contemplating new tires and had a hard time finding decent (and reasonably-priced) 15" tires to fit. I decided that 17" was probably my best choice because desirable 16" wheels and tires were becoming difficult to find. I did not go forward with that plan, I ended up buying 15" Kumho Ecsta LX tires (rode fine but I live in CA and they would not be a good choice for use in snow country).

If I had made the swap in wheel size, my intention was to use one of these tires (not sure these would be a size I'd choose for an Avanti, though, due to the wheel width):

Pirelli Cinturato All Season Plus 235/50R17 96V

*Bridgestone Driveguard 235/50RF17 96W

BF Goodrich F-Force Comp-2 A/S 235/50ZR17 96W

*Continental PureContact with ECOplus Technology 235/50R17 96W

BF Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S 235/50ZR17 96W

I also looked at 18" wheels & tires and decided the starred (*) tires above were my choices in that 18" size

RQB 3263  81 Avanti II  i switched out the steel wheels 4 years ago and installed 07 to 09 Mustang  16 inch and they have worked great and look great also.... i purchase 5 and so I have a full size spare that fits in the well.....i did have to fab an 1 1/2  inch fiberglass blister cover due to the added width....of course going from a GM pattern to a Ford necessitated a machined aluminum  adapter available on line....the front req a 1 1/4 in. spacer/ adapter to clear steering/suspension components due to the different wheel center set back on the Mustang rims and the rear 1"..... there are several web sites that give tire size/diameter/ circumference so you can match what you have and not effect spedo !! I dont think you can get a better looking wheel for the price anywhere ... worked for me ....BILL 386-466-6434 IN FL...

IMG_E0065.JPG

IMG_E0068.JPG

those wheels look great on your avanti!

I dont understand the need to fit to "GM bolt pattern. I thought all Avantis were the same as Ford bolt pattern.

Later model with the monte carlo frame perhaps?  I didn't think that happened til the mid 80's on the "blake cars"

23 hours ago, Goodin said:

those wheels look great on your avanti!

I dont understand the need to fit to "GM bolt pattern. I thought all Avantis were the same as Ford bolt pattern.

Later model with the monte carlo frame perhaps?  I didn't think that happened til the mid 80's on the "blake cars"

1963-1985 are on Studebaker chassis.  1987-2004 are on Chevrolet or Pontiac chassis.  2005-2007 are on Ford chassis.  This as factory built.  Of course, many have been modified.  

Edited by studegary

• 1 month later...