R3 (or bust!)

mfg

I'm going to tackle an interesting project at work next week....I'll attempt to make two 'R3' type threaded inner bushing front suspension upper control arms from the standard rubber bushing type.:o

I have several good used 'regular' upper control arms....This project will entail sacrificing two of them to obtain the threaded outer 'nut' which threaded bushings screw into.

After lining things up, I'll weld the threaded nuts to the upper control arms where the pushed-in rubber/steel bushings would normally go.

I'm going to try this not because I have an issue with the standard rubber bushing type upper control arms....I think they actually work just fine!..... However, I happen to have two NOS threaded inner upper control arm shafts (with bushings & seals) laying around that need a home!:)

These two NOS threaded upper inner shafts carry '51-'52 Studebaker part numbers.

I can understand your trying this.  I would think that the proper alignment and spacing of the parts that you are combining would be the main challenge. 

1 hour ago, 64studeavanti said:

Why go to this trouble.  I have 51 upper and lower arms with steel bushings. I am sure other have as well.

Because I presently do not have a pair of '51-'52 arms, and really don't feel like going shopping.

However, I know what you mean.....I owned a '64 Avanti several years ago which I installed a pair of 1952 'all steel' upper control arms on.....actually, I also installed the 1952 'all steel' lower control arms too!  (As you did.....I had to use the earlier shock absorber setup)

I think we outdid the Granatellis with that setup!!:D

PS.....I remember greasing that car took quite awhile......never seen so many grease fittings on one vehicle!!:o

Edited by mfg

1 hour ago, studegary said:

I can understand your trying this.  I would think that the proper alignment and spacing of the parts that you are combining would be the main challenge. 

I'll give it hell Gary!:D

• 2 months later...

Ed.  the other thing you might try instead of adapting your "regular" control arms might be using more modern Delrin bushings in place of the rubber bushings.  The manifold heat should not bother them and they are virtually as stiff as the solid steel bushings.

18 hours ago, lschuc said:

Ed.  the other thing you might try instead of adapting your "regular" control arms might be using more modern Delrin bushings in place of the rubber bushings.  The manifold heat should not bother them and they are virtually as stiff as the solid steel bushings.

Good thought Lew, I've heard about the Delrin suspension bushings, but have never tried them.

I did modify two standard upper control arms, (to R3 spec), and the job turned out nice.:).....God knows when I'll get around to installing them though!:o

Looks to be a very sanitary install!....I understand those bushings are also available in black (show car concern)...the white will dirty soon enough in the 'real world'!:D

16 hours ago, mfg said:

Looks to be a very sanitary install!....I understand those bushings are also available in black (show car concern)...the white will dirty soon enough in the 'real world'!:D

True dat! I was going to machine a set from some black Delrin round stock I have but I traded for them with another Stude guy for some parts he needed and saved me the trouble. If someone sees them on the road they should have gotten out of the way faster.😉