Gas cap for 1983

Bill Hanlon

2 hours ago, Bill Hanlon said:

Went to get gas today in NJ which is non self serv, found the cap is missing.  Any one know of a compatable part number?

Thanks 

Bill

Have you tried going back to the station and looked for your cap and asked them about it?  Those stations usually have a few left overs around that they do not know who they belong to.  You may get lucky (hopefully).

EDIT:  The first place to look is on top of the pump that you went to.  The second place to look is on the ground in the area of that pump.  Sometimes, they are moved into the station- ask about it.  Since it only happened today and you know where it happened, you have a good shot at recovery.

Edited by studegary

Drive it to your local parts store and try a GM cap from the same year. Those are pretty universal back then. If the GM won't work. measure the opening size and go from there.

Be sure the door will close, you may need to bend the ears or position the cap differently. That's how I found the one for my 83.

43 minutes ago, Bill Hanlon said:

Last time I filled up was a month ago and the station is two counties away. I will try over the weekend. When the guy went to fill up today is when he told me it is missing. 

Sorry, I read your initial post as your having discovered your cap missing after filling up today.  

Call Dan Booth at Nostalgic Motors.  He bought all of Avanti Motors parts inventory when the company moved to Youngstown in the later 1980s.  He may have what you want or should at least know what it interchanges with.