Kingpin bearing

Cbitz233

In middle of replacing coil springs on my 83. Need to get new king pin bearings for the inside of the spindle that the ball joint and tierod connect to. Can't seem to findn were to get them does anybody know where I can find them. Thanks

1 hour ago, Cbitz233 said:

In middle of replacing coil springs on my 83. Need to get new king pin bearings for the inside of the spindle that the ball joint and tierod connect to. Can't seem to findn were to get them does anybody know where I can find them. Thanks

They are in the SI catalog and other Studebaker and Avanti vendors will also carry them.  A 1983 Avanti suspension is like a 1964 Studebaker Avanti suspension.  Be sure to replace the thrust washer/bearing while you are in there.  

Hope you have a shop manual handy.    There are shims included in the kingpin rebuild kit. You also have the ones installed in your suspension now.   The shims are used to adjust the  thrust bearing clearance, which if is not correct will grind the bearings into dust.

1 hour ago, silverstude said:

Hope you have a shop manual handy.    There are shims included in the kingpin rebuild kit. You also have the ones installed in your suspension now.   The shims are used to adjust the  thrust bearing clearance, which if is not correct will grind the bearings into dust.

Where can I acquire a shop manual?? Thank you for the help 

31 minutes ago, Cbitz233 said:

Where can I acquire a shop manual?? Thank you for the help 

You can get the Studebaker Avanti shop manual, that applies to much of your car including the front suspension, on either paper or CD from SI and perhaps other vendors.  

There are usually a few for sale on eBay as well, search "Avanti (shop, workshop, service) manual".... you want the one that says "Workshop Manual" on the cover.

About $40 to $50 shipped.

While you're at it, get an Avanti parts manual as well.

Some of the information won't pertain to the '83, but much of it will, and its all the information we've got, aside from vendors and a few websites.

workshop manual.jpg

parts.jpg

12 hours ago, WayneC said:

There are usually a few for sale on eBay as well, search "Avanti (shop, workshop, service) manual".... you want the one that says "Workshop Manual" on the cover.

About $40 to $50 shipped.

While you're at it, get an Avanti parts manual as well.

Some of the information won't pertain to the '83, but much of it will, and its all the information we've got, aside from vendors and a few websites.

Excellent advice. Also remember you can use any Chevy manual from the same year or one earlier for engine and transmission issues.

17 hours ago, Jim78 said:

Studebaker International offers a CD that includes both the shop and parts manuals for $19.95.

Not seeing it and I just looked. Does anyone have a link? Thanks. Rgds, Mike

10 hours ago, WayneC said:

Jim, its on page 27, lower right corner. Search doesn't seem to work for me.

To clarify, it's on page 27 of the catalog, which shows up on page 16 of the .pdf file.  On the website itself, you can click on "SHOP" and enter 801202 in the part# block.  

Edited by Jim78