Altman Age?

mfg

I'll guess 57.

UPDATE: But, that is wrong. :(  I just found Nate's obituary from 1976......he was only 64 years old when he died! Looks like murph was the first correct answer.

Edited by r1lark
added info.

3) 53

13 hours ago, r1lark said:

I'll guess 57.

UPDATE: But, that is wrong. :(  I just found Nate's obituary from 1976......he was only 64 years old when he died! Looks like murph was the first correct answer.

13 hours ago, murph the surf said:

3) 53

Sorry, but sources say Nate was not 53 at the time!

Well, if he died in 1976 at 64 years old, then he was born in 1912 give or take a year. So when he was negotiating with Studebaker in 1964 to purchase the rights to the Avanti he would have been 52 give or take a year. So 53 is the only age that would seem to me to fit.

According to 'Regardie's Magazine' ( The Magazine of Washington Business) Nate was not 53 when he purchased the rights to Avanti Motors...........Whether or not that article is correct can certainly be called into question!

Nate was born May 27,1911,and passed away in early 1976,not quite reaching his 65th birthday.He was 64 years old.Just wonder how differently things would have turned out for Avanti Motors had he lived several more years.

OK, according to the South Bend Tribune obit, Nate was born May 27, 1911 and died March 18, 1976. So he was just short of 65 years old when he died. Not sure of the exact date he purchased the Avanti rights/parts/tooling/ect, but it seems like it had to be 1964 or 1965. I'll let you do the math and determine if your source was correct or not.......and which one of your choices is the closest.:)

Edited by r1lark

3 minutes ago, r1lark said:

OK, according to the South Bend Tribune obit, Nate was born May 27, 1911 and died March 18, 1976. So he was just short of 65 years old when he died. Not sure of the exact date he purchased the Avanti rights/parts/tooling/ect, but it seems like it had to be 1964 or 1965. I'll let you do the math and determine if your source was correct or not.......and which one of your choices is the closest.:)

I agree  the dates you have posted indicate Nate was around 53....'Regardie's' indicated he was about 50...I'd say they were probably wrong, unless Nate had some early dealings with Studebaker along these lines long before they shut down in South Bend......We'll never know what Mr. Altman knew/heard in advance.

11 minutes ago, murph the surf said:

Nate was born May 27,1911,and passed away in early 1976,not quite reaching his 65th birthday.He was 64 years old.Just wonder how differently things would have turned out for Avanti Motors had he lived several more years.

I believe A LOT differently!!...Nate knew how to sell cars, run a business,.........and Avanti Motors ALWAYS made money while under his leadership!

One big reason Avanti Motors made money under Nate was his purchase of all Studebaker's truck parts...sales of those kept Avanti Motors in the black for the first few years at minimum getting the company established.  Getting all of Studebaker's inventory of Avanti parts and tooling for a giveaway price at the same time kept costs down...having to source and pay for those same parts for a low production vehicle would likely have made the whole enterprise untenable.  Being able to tap a ready pool of workers who otherwise would have been unemployed didn't hurt either.

Nate wasn't just a good businessman and a great salesman...he talked Studebaker into selling him everything he needed at a fire sale price.  

15 hours ago, mfg said:

When Nathan Altman purchased the rights to produce Avantis from Studebaker he was.....?..... years old.

1) 46........2) 50......3) 53.....or......57

The Altman deal with Studebaker was June 1964.  This would make him 53 plus one month at that time.  

The magazine said "about 50".  53 could have been considered to be about 50.   

13 minutes ago, studegary said:

The Altman deal with Studebaker was June 1964.  This would make him 53 plus one month at that time.  

The magazine said "about 50".  53 could have been considered to be about 50.   

I agree.