Unique Avanti!

mfg

Marble. I believe the car still exists as it was for sale a couple of years ago...probably eBay or Craigslist. The marble was provided by the person who ordered the car.

Edited by Gunslinger

Agreed!....When I saw a photo of that marble dash , I said to myself ...'Now, THAT'S DIFFERENT'!!!.....It's amazing how far the Altman's would go to satisfy a customer!!

Speaking of unique options, I wonder how many customers actually wanted the shag carpeting that came with the cars in the mid seventies.

Edited by plwindish

My '70 was truly a mashup of styles and colors when it was built according to the production sheet. The car was painted a dark Cadillac brown, had mahogany colored vinyl upholstery, the dark walnut dash and console inlays and steering wheel and column...and orange shag carpeting!

As my wife said when she saw the build sheet..."Well, the '70s weren't called the decade of no taste without reason!"

There were definitely some bizarre color/upholstery/carpet combinations during that time period. I'm sure Nate didn't mind too much as long as the customer was happy and he sold cars.

A fellow Chicagoland AOAI member has a 76 that was originally gray, now painted white, and has the factory avocado green vinyl interior with an olive shag carpeting. I don't know about that gray and green combination, the white with green looks much better.

• 1 month later...

Currently for sale on the Stude swap page.

Studebaker 1975 Avanti II Italian marble dash, 350 engine, turbo 400 transmission. $12,000

pb

My gosh!.....That must be the one-and-only Avanti ll we've heard about!!