Rear Axle Overhaul

adamderosa

I'm looking into overhauling the rear axle on my '72 Avanti over the Winter (Dana 44, flanged axles). I have some questions:

1. Does anyone know of a good source of parts for these including bearings, shims, seals, etc?

2. If I order parts from a non-Studebaker/Avanti vendor, is there a more common application that I can reference? I know that the Dana 44 was used in many vehicles but I'm not sure what would be closest to the Avanti II.

3. I currently have an open rear end and would like to convert it to a Twin-Traction. Does anyone have an opinion on or advice on this? I know that posi units are available from Auburn Gear, Detroit, and others.

Thanks for your help!

IIRC the Diff/bearing/seal kit I used was from a 72 IH Scout II on my 74. Compare it to yours on the interweb. If all else fails you can take the numbers off the existing bearings and, possibly, seals.

As far as a posi, unless you plan to put a lot of power to it about any will be better than what you have. I like Auburn but nothing wrong with the original Dana/Spicer setup. Be sure you know the axle spline count before you order. I think mine were 30 but I'm doing this all from memory.

If you plan to do it yourself, Download the Spicer manual and read it closely on installation including spreading the case and opening up the older carrier bearings to allow easy removal of the carrier when you set the pinion preload.

Bob

Edited by Avanti83

All of the bearings, seals, spacers, etc. are common and available from your neighborhood auto parts store. Since the Avanti assemblies were sourced over time, I would suggest that you take the axle assembly out and disassemble yourself. There are some variables to the Dana 44 that you should measure, like axle bearing surface diameter, pinion gear shaft diameter and axle spline count so you get the correct replacement parts. Take your old parts with you and ask for 1972-1980 Ford F150 truck or 1970,s Jeep CJ parts for comparison. I rebuilt mine after finding a used pegleg Avanti Dana 44 housing to replace the non-original Mopar rear end installed in my 1982 by a previous owner. For a differential unit, I bought a Detroit TruTrack geared posi unit, 3.54:1 ring and pinion, ring gear attach bolts and carrier bearings from Summit Racing Equipment. I cleaned and painted the housing and brake backing and retainer plates with POR15 and took everything to a reputable local gear shop for assembly and setup, since I have not done that before and wanted it correct. I had the brake drums turned and then put on new shoes and wheel cylinders and reinstalled the completed assembly myself. It wasn't cheap, but everything is new and correct.

Steve

RQB3263 ...i RECENTLY FINISHED DOING PART OF WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT DOING ....FIRST time for m but went well on my 81/Dana44....I found no reason to dig into the center section (2:73 gear) I just cleaned it out and put in new grease...AND i probably made a mistake replacing the outer bearings...first there was no indication of wear so they coulda shoulda been repacked and reinstalled with new seal and gaskets....these bearings are hand packed not lubed from the center...and will need to be packed even if installing new...I purchased all the bearings and seals from Nostalgic in Michigan....but I now believe they are all available locally.... there is a steel retainer ring that is pressed over the axle and holds the bearing in place...SO HERE IS WHAT HAPPENED TO ME ...I took my axels to a "reputable" 4x4 guy locally.....who sad he had done 100 of them...and maybe so ....BUT...when i picked the up one of the new retainer rings was broken cracked....

this might have resulted in axle separation !!!!...I had to order another steel collar and have it done again and he still charged me $30 per axle....HERES WHAT HAPPENED...the old bearings are (were) removed with a cutting torch...OK I understand that but the ham fisted mullett head pressed the new retaining collar onto a hot (expanded) axle....and broke it......he didnt notice it or simply tried to pass it off to me broken...YOU MUST INSPECT THERE WORK...OR.simply clean the existing bearings with solvent, dry and repack and be good for another 100,00 miles....as for the brakes I replaced everything...yes everything but the backing plate ...all bought from Nostalgic....while your under there replace the short flex brake hose also....works great last long time ...RQB3263 BILL

Find your local 4x4 off-road shop and ask them for a quote. They do Jeeps, Ford, Chev and IH every day and should gave gears, seals, bearings and limited slip on the shelf. Often, they'll have take-out street ratios and posi which have been replaced with crawler gears and lockers.

Jack Vines

Phil Harris at Fairborn Studebaker has all bearings, seals, and parts necessary for a rebuild or gear change. He also has all the unique tools necessary so that he can properly set up your rear end. He was taught by one of the best. An advantage of buying parts from him is he can help you if you should have a problem.

Thanks to all of you for your information and suggestions. Avanti83 I really like your idea of boring out the old carrier bearings to use as set-up bearings; that should save some time on the assembling process. I have downloaded a Dana 44 manual from the spicer website, and I have my eye on a case spreader. Hopefully things will go smoothly.

Adam DeRosa

How does that work?

Always like your input Bob.

Thanks Gene

You need to open the ID of the bearing race so it just slides on to the shaft instead of being a press fit. That way they just slide off instead of needing to be pressed on every time you need to change the shims. Learned it from an old local chaps that is a Wiz with rear ends and trannys. Most of the local racers use his talent. Bob

Thanks Bob, thought that is what you had in mind. We did that for the Dana 44's by honing the IDs of the carrier bearings. The Dana 44 HD has different carrier bearings, and we were able to get KM set up sleeves. Something that also may be helpful is to make a setup outer race for for the pinion bearing next to the pinion. This makes it a lot easier changing the shims for pinion placement.

A friend recently purchased 4.56 gears from a gear manufacturer G2 (or some other numeric). They did not have the set up numbers on them, and took a long time to set up. Would not recommend them at all.