Uncomfortable Stude!

mfg

During Bill Carroll’s road test of a 1964 R3 powered Stude Daytona convertible in January of 1964, he complained of being somewhat uncomfortable driving the car…..

What was the source of Mr. Carroll’s complaint?

17 minutes ago, Nelson said:

Front suspension seemed to bottom out.

Perhaps… but not answer I was looking for…

Allow me to ‘tweak’ question…..

“Interior driving comfort”

22 minutes ago, Nelson said:

If you have any questions about the car I have access to it. It’s in my garage…haha🙂🙂

E9318141-E5C2-4A27-8169-4B6878D57B8A.jpeg

Is that real Bonneville salt on the garage on the garage floor under the car??? 

That’s funny! If it was available I’d have it there but that is snow from last winter. Maybe next time I’m in Salt Lake City I should get a bucket of it just to throw down on the floor when displaying the car to give the display more atmosphere.😁😁

Just an awesome historic vehicle!!!

And YES Nels….. Mr Carroll felt the pedals were too far to the left of steering column for his comfort….… May I ask… do you notice that as you drive your Daytona?

You know, I think when ever they road tested a Stude or maybe any make, they had to find something to nitpick. I’ve never noticed that problem but I don’t where size fourteen shoes either.

Thanks for the compliment on the car. I feel thankful and lucky to actually own it and able to restore it.

Edited by Nelson

3 hours ago, Nelson said:

You know, I think when ever they road tested a Stude or maybe any make, they had to find something to nitpick. I’ve never noticed that problem but I don’t where size fourteen shoes either.

Thanks for the compliment on the car. I feel thankful and lucky to actually own it and able to restore it.

Yes… I’ve driven a few stick shift Lark types with suspended pedals and haven’t ever felt the clutch/brake pedals were in an awkward position….

I believe the driver’s height, weight, and seat position have a lot to do with this issue…….Also, period Studebaker steering wheels, on models other than the Avanti, were somewhat large in diameter.

I think the large diameter steering wheels were a throwback to an earlier era where most cars did not have power steering...the larger diameter steering wheel provided less felt resistance to turning...plus manual steering ratios were much different.  A smaller steering wheel such as the norm today would have required more turns lock-to-lock for manually powered steering.  

Companies such as Studebaker which had to watch every tenth of a penny stayed with the old standard larger wheel for cost reasons...regardless of whether power steering was ordered for a particular car.  

Look at trucks and buses of the day...particularly rear engined buses.  They had huge diameter steering wheels to provide less overall effort for the drivers without power assist.

I’m 6’5” with size 14 feet and in 73 I drove my 64 Daytona R1 4spd from Spokane to Portland and back in one day, over 600 miles, and I don’t remember any issue with the pedal placement. And, there were four of us in the car!  Wish I knew what happened to that car. Mike

7 hours ago, Footer said:

I’m 6’5” with size 14 feet and in 73 I drove my 64 Daytona R1 4spd from Spokane to Portland and back in one day, over 600 miles, and I don’t remember any issue with the pedal placement. And, there were four of us in the car!  Wish I knew what happened to that car. Mike

I’m convinced… pedal location is FINE!!