sagging door broken internal mount. any fixes known

stuart

15 hours ago, stuart said:

my door seems to have a broken internal lower mounting.  while it still is closing and lockable, are their any know fixes?

Probably worse case scenario is broken fiberglass mount area in door itself… Door would need to be removed from the car for a rebuild of the lower mount area… Upper mount area  needs checking also.

Fiberglass can be repaired...but you should compare the estimated cost of the repair against buying a good, used door.  Even then...since fiberglass isn't stamped out in a cookie cutter fashion like sheet metal there's always some variations in its dimensions and fit.  Some massaging right be necessary for a proper fit.  

Thanks, at this point I think it is a wash for cost.  I have a new old door available which requires a complete removal and reinstallation of all the power window and frame parts. could be a DIY project except for the painting.  could they do a great paint match? while my car is a repaint and reasonably good not to the quality that a good paint shop could do so could they match or repaint the car.  Of course in Los Angeles with all the regs, paint is expensive. That's why I thought to repair the fiberglass mount might be the least complicated.

Thank you for your help. The forum is great

Stu

P1150137.JPG

On 9/24/2024 at 6:40 PM, stuart said:

my door seems to have a broken internal lower mounting.  while it still is closing and lockable, are there any know fixes?

Oh shoot! Sorry this happened to you.  The above answers are good.  I'll just add a bit of info (which may help, or not).

The problem with Studebaker Avantis with power windows breaking their fiberglass inner door panel is unrelated to breakage of the door hinge area, so I'll just address that problem.

The power windows on a Stude Avanti are mounted to fiberglass that is too weak for the torque that the PW motor can produce.  I guess Studebaker Engineering didn't test the power windows sufficiently under "abuse" conditions.  By 1970 Avanti Motors had added reinforcement to that area in the form of another layer of fiberglass.  I have a set of 1970 Avanti doors that I will put onto my '64 soon and they have this reinforcement.  I can post pix if desired.  So, my point is that, if possible, you should get a door from an Avanti II with this reinforcement.

--Dwight

The extra weight of the power window assy seems to exasperate the broken door hinge area issue… which is unfortunately somewhat common on Studebaker Avantis….

Personally, I would attempt repair of the original door.. I have done this job before.. The trick is to cut away the fiberglass area with the access holes to put your socket wrench through to access hinge- to-door bolts… Then make the actual repair by roughing up the fiberglass and adding a layer of fiberglass cloth over damaged area… To make repair ‘bulletproof’, rivet a piece of thin sheet metal over repaired area….(holes drilled in metal)…Then fiberglass the outer piece back on.

10 hours ago, mfg said:

The extra weight of the power window assy seems to exasperate the broken door hinge area issue… which is unfortunately somewhat common on Studebaker Avantis….

Personally, I would attempt repair of the original door.. I have done this job before.. The trick is to cut away the fiberglass area with the access holes to put your socket wrench through to access hinge- to-door bolts… Then make the actual repair by roughing up the fiberglass and adding a layer of fiberglass cloth over damaged area… To make repair ‘bulletproof’, rivet a piece of thin sheet metal over repaired area….(holes drilled in metal)…Then fiberglass the outer piece back on.

That's what I did some years ago!