Avanti Dyno!

mfg

1 hour ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I'm not aware that any production Studebaker Avantis were dyno tested at South Bend.  Engineering would have dyno tested Avantis during the development of the car, but only that.

--Dwight

Well Dwight , a period ‘Car Life Magazine’ article on Studebaker… and a very recent article on a ‘63 Avanti, say that you may be incorrect!

Any other thoughts on this one?

I think all the Avantis went onto the roll test at the end of the line. I think that test is often referred to as a dyno check and maybe it was to some degree. I doubt if any paper work as to HP was actually generated on each car but rather a stationary road test to make sure the car ran through( the gears and developed acceptable power according to acceptance criteria. Drive train noises etc were also noted during this test. I once talked to a Notre Dame student who worked at Studebaker during the summer. One of his jobs was working on the Avanti doll up line where air cleaner etc were installed. He told me some horror stories about the guy he worked with such as tapping the tobacco out of his pipe into a valve cover breather or putting some nuts and bolts into the breather and watching as the car was put on the roll test. The engine would rattle badly during test and the car would be shut down and pushed into the repair bay.

6 hours ago, Nelson said:

I think all the Avantis went onto the roll test at the end of the line. I think that test is often referred to as a dyno check and maybe it was to some degree. I doubt if any paper work as to HP was actually generated on each car but rather a stationary road test to make sure the car ran through( the gears and developed acceptable power according to acceptance criteria. Drive train noises etc were also noted during this test. I once talked to a Notre Dame student who worked at Studebaker during the summer. One of his jobs was working on the Avanti doll up line where air cleaner etc were installed. He told me some horror stories about the guy he worked with such as tapping the tobacco out of his pipe into a valve cover breather or putting some nuts and bolts into the breather and watching as the car was put on the roll test. The engine would rattle badly during test and the car would be shut down and pushed into the repair bay.

Interesting comment!

As far as this trivia question goes, according to the article about Elmer’s ‘63 Avanti… only manual transmission equipped Avantis were tested on the rollers at Studebaker… If that is correct, the answer to this question is True.

20 hours ago, mfg said:

Only manual transmission ‘63 Studebaker Avantis were dynomometer tested at South Bend prior to shipment…..True?

False.

The production order for my Avanti has a hand written notation that it was tested on rollers.

3 hours ago, regnalbob said:

False.

The production order for my Avanti has a hand written notation that it was tested on rollers.

Can’t accept this info until that PO is posted.

(Just being cautious, considering my past experiences with this forum member)

23 hours ago, mfg said:

Well Dwight , a period ‘Car Life Magazine’ article on Studebaker… and a very recent article on a ‘63 Avanti, say that you may be incorrect!

Any other thoughts on this one?

I'll note that the statement "each manual transmission-equipped Avanti was dyno tested at South Bend prior to shipment" doesn't exclude automatic transmission-equipped Avantis from having been dyno tested.  I.e., the word "only' is not included in the Nov. 2024 Classic Car article.  I just wanted to tie up that loose end.

--Dwight

34 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I'll note that the statement "each manual transmission-equipped Avanti was dyno tested at South Bend prior to shipment" doesn't exclude automatic transmission-equipped Avantis from having been dyno tested.  I.e., the word "only' is not included in the Nov. 2024 Classic Car article.  I just wanted to tie up that loose end.

--Dwight

I understand what you mean… but on the other hand why wouldn’t the author simply  have stated ALL Avantis were dyno tested before shipment? It puzzles me why he specifically wrote “ manual transmission equipped Avantis!”

13 hours ago, mfg said:

I understand what you mean… but on the other hand why wouldn’t the author simply  have stated ALL Avantis were dyno tested before shipment? It puzzles me why he specifically wrote “ manual transmission equipped Avantis!”

I agree with your point.  But, one does sometimes see some sloppy writing in these car mags.

I do wonder why only manual transmission Avantis were dyno tested.  If they were testing the entire drive-train then it makes no sense to leave out the automatic Avantis.

--Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I agree with your point.  But, one does sometimes see some sloppy writing in these car mags.

I do wonder why only manual transmission Avantis were dyno tested.  If they were testing the entire drive-train then it makes no sense to leave out the automatic Avantis.

--Dwight

I agree with you!…Perhaps just a magazine error.

10 hours ago, Footer said:

Just out of curiosity, are there any three speed manuals out there?  

There is a gorgeous white ‘63 round lite Avanti a fellow from New Hampshire used to own, which was restored to original condition a few years ago including its original t-86 three speed manual transmission…..

However, I would bet the majority of Stude Avantis built with a three speed manual trans have been converted to a four speed trans over the years.