Fitting a group 51 or 51R battery into a '63 Avanti

I recently bought a group 51 battery for a '63 Avanti, but now wonder if I should have gotten a 51R (same except terminals reversed). I need to decide while I still have time to exchange it.

The 51/51R battery is smaller and much lighter, is of modern technology, costs less, and lasts longer.  What's not to like about a 51/51R (unless you're dedicated to originality)?

The pic below shows a 51R installed in a '63 Avanti. Everything on this car looks well done, so I figure he knew what he is doing.  He has re-positioned both hold-down posts and has made a bracket to move the fender-side post forward.  It looks like these changes have made using a 51R battery a better choice than a 51, although it looks like either could be used.

The 3EE battery is (LxWxH, inches)  19.3125  x  4.375   x    8.875
The 51/51R battery is  ........................9.374   x   5.0624  x  8.8125

The 51/51R is ~0.7" wider -- should be no problem
The 51/51R is ~ 0.75" lower in height --  no problem

Comments?
--Dwight

1963 Avanti Group 51R battery (2).jpg

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

13 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

I recently bought a group 51 battery for a '63 Avanti, but now wonder if I should have gotten a 51R (same except terminals reversed). I need to decide while I still have time to exchange it.

The 51/51R battery is smaller and much lighter, is of modern technology, costs less, and lasts longer (I assume).  What's not to like about a 51/51R (unless you're dedicated to originality)?

The pic below shows a 51R installed in a '63 Avanti. Everything on this car looks well done, so I figure he knew what he is doing.  He has re-positioned both hold-down posts and has made a bracket to move the fender-side post forward.  It looks like these changes have made using a 51R battery a better choice than a 51, although it looks like either could be used.

The 3EE battery is (LxWxH, inches)  19.3125  x  4.375   x    8.875
The 51/51R battery is  ........................9.374   x   5.0624  x  8.8125

The 51/51R is ~0.7" wider -- should be no problem
The 51/51R is ~ 0.75" lower in height --  no problem

Comments?
--Dwight

1963 Avanti Group 51R battery (2).jpg

Looks like a winner to me… Like you say, unless the battery MUST be a 3EE for show purposes, this is a great way to go!

21 hours ago, mfg said:

Looks like a winner to me… Like you say, unless the battery MUST be a 3EE for show purposes, this is a great way to go!

Thanks, it's good to have some confirmation that I'm on the right track.  Actually, I'm just going to copy the owner of the black '63 Avanti in the pic.  I have exchanged the 51 for a 51R and will start working on the simple bracketry needed and will have new cables made.

--Dwight

48 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Thanks, it's good to have some confirmation that I'm on the right track.  Actually, I'm just going to copy the owner of the black '63 Avanti in the pic.  I have exchanged the 51 for a 51R and will start working on the simple bracketry needed and will have new cables made.

--Dwight

I took a different path on my ‘63…. I relocated a group 24 battery to the trunk, then re- installed the 3EE (gutted) in the engine compartment complete with a couple of bogus battery cables… My 3EE weighs about 2 pounds now!

22 hours ago, mfg said:

I took a different path on my ‘63…. I relocated a group 24 battery to the trunk, then re- installed the 3EE (gutted) in the engine compartment complete with a couple of bogus battery cables… My 3EE weighs about 2 pounds now!

I would think that's an even better option.  I just don't want to go to that extent for a car that I'm going to sell.

--Dwight

Gotta ask. What is wrong with the 3EE?

I do keep mine on a trickle charger and am having no issues.   Diehard makes em.

Edited by aardvark

2 hours ago, aardvark said:

Gotta ask. What is wrong with the 3EE?

I do keep mine on a trickle charger and am having no issues.   Diehard makes em.

There's nothing wrong with a 3EE battery, I just prefer a smaller battery (I use a size 25 in my '64).  Modern technology has given us stronger, more reliable batteries in a smaller package, and I generally go with modern technology.  Studebaker did, in '64, changing to a size 24.  A size 24 is a car battery, a 3EE is a commercial battery.

"Diehard" is just a marketing label.  I don't know who makes their batteries for them.

Actually, mfg has (I think) the ultimate solution: a gutted 3EE in the engine compartment and a size 24 in the trunk.  Several of our SDC Forum experts have advocated relocating the battery to the trunk.

To those who keep their '63 Avantis original, I say more power to them.  I do like seeing all-original Studes at shows, with bias-ply tires, etc.  I'm just not into 3EE batteries and bias-ply tires.

--Dwight

I ‘feel’ for my ‘63 (as I believe we all do for our cars) and taking quite a bit of weight off an already nose heavy front end… and off that fragile fiberglass apron…. seemed like a mod my Avanti would agree with… if it could ‘talk’ !!!!

Any weight that can be taken off an Avanti front end is worthwhile.  Handling improves...maybe not always perceptively but it's there.  It helps increase the life of the front coil springs.  Any help reducing the front weight bias is a net positive.  

I see Your Points. (plural).

My only issue is needing to keep the 3EE on a trickle charger, since it seems to drain itself over time. I had to replace the 3EE once already when it went dead from sitting over a few months time. The weight? Maybe 30 lbs? My Portly Sis would throw the geometry off far worse than that.

The Battery Box on mine cracked and I had to re-glass the area and re-paint. I've heard that's a common issue.

I replaced the 3EE a couple of years ago in my 63, it has more cranking amps, more cold cranking amps than the 3EE, much lighter and maintenance free. The 3EE was always spitting from the vents in the plugs as well. I’ve owned my car since 1970 and can’t count the number of 3EEs I’ve replaced over the years, they never seemed to last long. I not fussy about keeping everything original and glad I switched to the 51. If your battery box is cracked or weakening SI sells an under the fender reinforcement piece for 63s.

I wonder why Studebaker engineers felt the need to use a 3EE battery in the first place? …. They had no problem fitting a common Group 24 type battery into the later ‘square light’ Avanti models!

9 hours ago, mfg said:

I wonder why Studebaker engineers felt the need to use a 3EE battery in the first place? …. They had no problem fitting a common Group 24 type battery into the later ‘square light’ Avanti models!

Yes, it seems like a bone-headed mistake to me.  At least they woke up a year later.

--Dwight