Converted Avanti!

mfg

Someone converting a Studebaker Avanti from automatic to manual transmission could utilize a ‘61 Stude V8 four speed clutch housing and a ‘64 Stude four speed T-10 transmission…..True?

Edited by mfg

False. The 61 bell housing would need a 61-62 Stude T10.   Or the 64 T10 would need a 63-64 bell housing.

2 hours ago, A0136 said:

False. The 61 bell housing would need a 61-62 Stude T10.   Or the 64 T10 would need a 63-64 bell housing.

Sorry, the answer to this puzzler is TRUE!

3 hours ago, A0136 said:

1 hour ago, mfg said:

Sorry, the answer to this puzzler is TRUE!

Steve is correct, the answer is false.

The 1961 bell housing (1552737) is used for the Chevy T-10 bolt pattern.

The 1964 T-10 uses the Ford pattern and Studebaker bell housing (1539373).

4 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

How so?  Please explain.

ANSWER!….. The ‘61-‘62 Stude V8 four speed clutch housing was originally created by modifying the ‘58-‘64 Ford pattern Stude V8 clutch housing……

Although the holes to mount up the ‘63-‘64 Ford pattern four speed trans would need to be drilled and tapped to accommodate the later transmission, the ‘61-‘62 clutch housing has the same bosses and machined surface as the later ‘63-‘64 housing.

A bit  extreme?… of course… However, IN A PINCH IT WOULD INDEED WORK!!!!

It’s always amazed me how Studebaker parts are so adaptable to different situations… if one only takes the time to  look!….Especially since the last Stude parts department closed some fifty odd years ago!!!

When I first saw this trivia question I thought it was a no brainer. The 61-62 and 63-64 ( or 56-64 ) bell housing / clutch housing have a different bolt pattern, part number and casting number so they wouldn’t interchange. So the answer was false. But even after 50+ years of owning and working on Studebaker and Avanti cars and Studebaker trucks I am still learning.  I have both type of housings so I took some pictures. On the 61-62 housing I marked where the bolt holes would go to make that housing work for ether bolt pattern, my plan is to put the 61-62 housing in the 59 Lark for some spirited driving. I have 4 speeds with both pattern and different 1st gear ratio’s so with this new knowledge I will drill it for both bolt patterns.  Well played mfg.  Thank you 

Steve 

IMG_3171.jpeg

IMG_3174.jpeg

IMG_3175.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

So, obviously, one could go in one direction with this bellhousing swap, but not the other.

If you drilled out the '61/'62 bellhousing as Ed suggests, you  could use either an early T10 or the later T10. I guess that is "either direction".

To A0136…. Thanks much for posting the pics…. You have certainly made clearer what I was trying to get across!

Best of luck with your ‘59!…Ed

7 hours ago, r1lark said:

If you drilled out the '61/'62 bellhousing as Ed suggests, you  could use either an early T10 or the later T10. I guess that is "either direction".

Paul, I believe what Dwight actually means is that a person can install a ‘63-‘64 Stude T-10 behind a ‘61-‘62 clutch housing….. but a ‘ 61-‘62 Stude T-10 cannot be installed behind a ‘63-‘64 clutch housing… and I agree with him!

3 hours ago, mfg said:

Paul, I believe what Dwight actually means is that a person can install a ‘63-‘64 Stude T-10 behind a ‘61-‘62 clutch housing….. but a ‘ 61-‘62 Stude T-10 cannot be installed behind a ‘63-‘64 clutch housing… and I agree with him!

Yes, correct.