Take a tour with Stephen Blake

Aside from some grainy YouTube videos, I've never seen good factory video of the South Bend Avanti plant. I stumbled across this 35 minute gem posted to Facebook. Blake had a passion for what he was doing, and seemed to know every step of the build process...along with the names of all his employees.  https://www.c-spanorg/video/?124750-1/avanti-car-plant-tour

Well thanks for posting this, I found it very interesting to watch. Amazing how many hours they spent building one, have to believe in todays world it would be so much more automated.

Knowing my '02' Avanti was quite expensive (~$65-80k new), they all ...all years... were a Rich Mans Toy.

What amazes me is the deflated price on mine, when considering  it might be worth up to $50k. That to me is a loss. 

But yeah, they are  nearly a Hand Built Car

I’m sure we can all look back at a car we once had and kick ourselves for selling because of what they are worth today. I wasn’t really thinking of an investment when I bought mine, I had just always wanted one. They are a unique car with an interesting history. The video shows one chapter, part of the Blake era.  Too bad we don’t have one for the Studebaker era, Newman/Altman, Cafaro and Kelly to go with it. Good find Desert Driver!

My pleasure...hope other aficionados have a chance to view it. Take Stephen Blake out of the video, and you can imagine the same assembly process for Newman & Altman built Avantis. Quality always came before cost, and it showed!