John Hull's book, "Avanti, the complete story".

I bought a copy of this book...Avanti, The Complete Story!... and have mixed emotions on the factoids presented.

Understand I own a '63' and an '02 model.

Fist off, the '63' '64' models it was sparse on photos of the Production Models. A lot of Prototype Pix;s but lacking on the actual Production cars. The written info was good but could have gone further.

Then the 2001-7 info was also a little lax. I was hoping for actual production numbers regarding the '02' model. They had one page (the last page) dedicated to those numbers but it was broken down into a 2001 category and then skipped to the 2004 model... No mention or understanding of what happened between these years. Seems 53 models were made between '01' and '04' but it's not broken down as to how many per year.

Didn't anyone take a tally of what was made and when? Seems this would be common practice and actually essential to Us as Collectors.

I'm interested in Your feedback on the yearly production numbers and overall take on the Writings of this book..

I don't want to keep buying info on my Car.  The book ran me over $45 with shipping and taxes. So for now, I'm done purchasing info that is lacking.

Don't get me wrong, the info was very good. I am just not satisfied with the lack of production numbers on the ''01-04'' models.  Seems a real info loss if the info can't be obtained. It's the only car I've purchased (over 65 vehicles over the years) where the numbers couldn't be chased down. Something wrong there. It's appearing to me that the Studie Avanti Originators ('99-07'') were pretty sloppy in their book keeping.

I guess you didn't catch my sarcasm. There is nothing wrong here as you seem to think. Just because production numbers were not published does not mean the company had "sloppy" bookkeepers. Give them a break. They may have had their reasons. As for the books there's tons of information in them not available anywhere else. True Avanti enthusiasts cherish these books. I don't know how you can not be satisfied. It just so happens what you are looking for may not be available and no one including Avanti Motors or the author can be faulted for that. 

I'm not faulting anyone, I do know what the exact numbers are on my '63' model right down to the models available (R1 vs R2). I even have the Build Sheet for it some 61 years later.

I would consider a newer version (My '02", 22 years later) would have similar info available. So mind you, I'm a tad frustrated.

It also has led to an issue with Insurances since the sales numbers have been low so they have few Comps to go on. Thus they only allow a $35k policy.  My suspicion is that should be closer to $40-45k, but they won't go there. Hemmings only shows 3 on the market over the past 3 years and one was up for sale for $50k. I think that number is high and actual (suspected) value is somewhere between the $35k and $50k number, but the info out there is insufficient to argue the point.

My issue is lack of sufficient info on many fronts.,,,

Gold..

That's what i referred to initially... but everyone here told me that the list was flawed.

The confusion is rampant.

No... Good advice... Let me see if His contact info is in the book.

There was a site the http://avanti.net which had the production numbers. It is a non working site now.

I do have a printout and it shows:

2001  54   GM Firebird Based

2002 77   GM Firebird Based

2003 88  GM Firebird Based

2004 102 GM Firebird Based   Total 2001-2004 267 cars.

2005 46   Ford Mustang Based

It does not show 2006 or 2007 production numbers

I own a 2003 Convertible (purchased used in 2013) and had someone at GM run the serial number and was able to get back the original sticker and all the options on the car.

The 2001-2004 Avanti's were all 2002 Trans AM's. Some states registered them as Avanti's and other as Pontiac TransAM/Firebird

The registry shows very few, but I suspect there are more out there that are not on the registry.

WP_20140608_003.jpg

I've seen that site and the numbers.. I've been told they are incorrect, and the book that states that is by John Hull.

He is a member of this site and I've private messaged him a week ago, but no response so far.,

I imagine John is pretty tied up rebuilding his home that was hit by a tornado. I don’t know how his paperwork or records survived that event?

As for records or history on the Avanti I’m certain the Studebaker years are fairly well documented as that was a well established corporation which kept detailed records of which many still exist. Avanti Motors probably kept good records but not nearly as detailed. As the company changed hands I would imagine a lot of those records were lost as the historical documents became less and less important to the new owners. I’m actually surprised at how much information John has been able to accumulate on the late Ford and GM based cars. If he hadn’t started his research endeavor when he did I’m pretty certain any genuine information gathering on the latest models would now be futile.

Sorry to hear about the Home being tore up. A prayer is called for for His overall recovery of losses.    Being originally from the Midwest, I'm quite aware of what the winds can do.   Not Good!

I'm coming to the conclusion I may never get firm answers, but am still waiting and hoping.

Thanks for His update.