Avanti Engine Cooling

mfg

Question....In '63-'85 Avantis, all else being equal, do modern aluminum radiators cool as well as traditional brass radiators?

Probably yes and possibly better if all was equal. Copper is heavier and more expensive. The modern aluminum radiators have the fins and tubes soldered together for better heat transfer. The older copper radiators had the fins just pushed in place. I think later copper units did solder the fins to the tubes so they were efficient but still heavy and expensive. Aluminum is a great conductor and is close to as good as copper so all things considered aluminum is the best choice.

Thanks for your comment Nelson..I do not need a radiator right now..but if I have a radiator issue down the road, I would like to be somewhat prepared.

If your side tanks are in good condition...you can always have it recored.  If that is done...ask for a core with increased fins per inch.  That can help a lot with cooling as additional fins add increased cooling surfaces.  

MFG, I recently had my radiator recored by Dave Thibeault after my radiator fan committed suicide and went through my Avanti hood; but not before it ate up the radiator, hoses, belts and all pulleys.

The work completed is perfect and vey neat. Without a doubt, I also suggest Dave T.

Hey there gunslinger, how is AZ?

Mark

2 hours ago, Gunslinger said:

I’m happier than I’ve ever been since moving here.  

I too live in Az now, up in Prescott, where are you living?

It is but we get that white stuff in the winter so we head out to warmer places. Normally gone for 4 or 5 months. leave the Avanti all covered up in the warm garage.

In this thread, two dead spaces are shown in front of the radiator. These are unfavorable to cooling as they cause turbulent regions of air which aren't forced through the radiator. I'll definitely look into some aluminum flashing and try to close off that dead space in my build. I also plan on more extreme things but every little bit helps.

Redline's product Water Wetter also helps bring down temperatures. If you are in a climate that does not freeze at all, or if you drain your car's fluids before freezing weather, it can be mixed in only water. For everywhere else, it can be added to the usual water / coolant mix.