1964 Avanti value?

Roland Trombley

I recently re-aquired the 64 R1 that I sold 23 years ago. The owner passed away and it sat abandoned for 15 years. The chrome is decent, the body is perfect,  the frame is excellent but needs one hog trough and the paint is dull, stained and crazing.

I went through everything mechanical, including the engine, suspension, brakes and cooling, and it has only been driven 8000 total miles since I did that work. The engine internally still is shiny as new.

I'm up in years now and don't really have any interest in trying to restore it. I just bought it for the nostalgia and to keep it from deteriorating.

The car is not for sale, but I want to clean it up and get it running nice and I don't want to put money into it that I'll never get back some day.

Any ideas as to what it might bring on the market as it sits? I have documentation from the first tank of gas in 1964.20230907_160251.thumb.jpg.0f57c89d3ea841508bff44c15b14e7dd.jpg

20230907_160237.jpg

20230907_160229.jpg

20230907_155835.jpg

20230907_155632.jpg

20231029_092043.jpg

17 gallons of gas for $5.50...those were the days, my friend!

Clean it up inside and out...get rid of those rims, and purchase the correct ones. Whatever money put into replacing hog troughs, you'll never see again. Red exterior, black interior and AC - it'll sell for a nice price!

I don't see any reason that you would not get what you have in to it plus more.

I just did a twin to your car and I put a lot of money  into it,(my choice)  . My car has 16,000 miles from new.

The one thing that could hurt is the hogs trough, mine were mint.39521198_IMG_6609Avanti.thumb.webp.d3639767e5736a390b32f2771bed4783.webp

1 hour ago, cursed avanti said:

I don't see any reason that you would not get what you have in to it plus more.

I just did a twin to your car and I put a lot of money  into it,(my choice)  . My car has 16,000 miles from new.

The one thing that could hurt is the hogs trough, mine were mint.39521198_IMG_6609Avanti.thumb.webp.d3639767e5736a390b32f2771bed4783.webp

This is what mine looked like the day I sold it 23 years ago.

64R5158x09112020e.jpg

P8040022.JPG

P8050033-1.JPG

R1, automatic and AC - that's a good combination for us older Studebaker fans.  I agree with all that Desert Driver said.  Get either Ford or Chrysler 15 x 6" or 15 x 6.5" wheels.  A set of used Avanti wheel covers shouldn't be too hard to find, especially now that the Halibrand repro aluminum wheels are available.  I'm not sure I would invest in a set of new tires unless you are going to either drive it or sell it within a few years.  Tires time out whether used or not.  An Avanti that can be driven home by a buyer will sell much better than one that can't. As far as market value I would guess $15k+ as is but cleaned up.

--Dwight

• 1 month later...

Roland, sorry for coming in to this subject at such a late date.

The Hog trough is an issue and I'm hearing prices of around $1500-$3000 to have one done,

Other than that, I wish I owned Your ride., Ya see, It is a perfect candidate for going Resto Mod.  As it sits, I'm assuming a value of between $7k to 9k. If gone thru and with a general clean up and running down the road maybe $12k.

I paid $16.5K for an R2 in pristine condition but it sat for many years, It has 85k miles and is a creampuff. That said, I think I stole the car but the seller and I weren't far from His asking price. I'm assuming what I have is worth $40k+.  I've went thru the minor issues it's had, Should be good to go.   

So I'd peck away at the things it needs to be drivable and be careful on any funds I would put into it. What a story! You bought it back from the one who You sold it to years back? I can think of a few cars I've had that I would LOVE to own again.

''Road On Bro-Man!!''

• 4 weeks later...

I actually kinda like the wheels. Oldsmobile, aren't they? Looks like you already had them on the car before you sold it, 20 years ago. Unless you're planning on a restoration, I'd leave em on there. I've had dreams where I re-acquired a car I'd previously owned... Think it's fantastic that you got yours back.

6 minutes ago, South Shore Motors said:

I actually kinda like the wheels. Oldsmobile, aren't they? Looks like you already had them on the car before you sold it, 20 years ago. Unless you're planning on a restoration, I'd leave em on there. I've had dreams where I re-acquired a car I'd previously owned... Think it's fantastic that you got yours back.

I also had dreams like that...Then it happened!... I re-aquired a 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk in 2021, which I originally purchased in 1968 and sold in 1980.

7 hours ago, South Shore Motors said:

Private Message  (PM) sent to you through this site.

Look in the upper right corner of this page.

9 hours ago, South Shore Motors said:

The wheels aren't bad looking at all on that car but I think Oldsmobile is a completely different bolt pattern isn't it?,,,

I would've said Olds is same as Chevy bolt pattern (not Avanti), but the wheel design sure looks like the Oldsmobile SuperStock IV, offered by Olds from '71-72. Used to see them on Delta 88s. My recollection was that these were a cast endura-type material, but I might be wrong on that. Regardless, they look similar to the wheels on Roland's Avanti. Maybe the manufacturer (Kelsey-Hayes?) offered the same style as an aftermarket wheel? Magnum 500s were used by almost all the OEMs and versions were sold as aftermarket, with different offset and bolt patterns.

71OldsDelta88Royale4jg.jpeg.03119a8a23530ad2a10862e34099bdd4.jpeg