1980 brake master cylinder

pantera928

I went through this exercise back in January this year.  The MC is the same as was used in various Fords from 1967 to 71  eg Fairlaine.  Lots of US suppliers are listing it cheaply but show 'No stock'.

Important:

It has a 15/16" bore and has a restrictor valve fitted in the underslung port for slow bleedback of the rear Brake drums.

My solution wasn't so cheap because I ended up having to sleeve the pitted bore and send it out for reconditioning altogether.  Hopefully you can find one off the shelf at a reasonable cost otherwise you might have to have it recoed.

Edited by Zedman

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, pantera928 said:

Okay, here is what I ended up with. From O'Reilly Auto Parts. A BrakeBest Select NMC11143. New not a reman and came with the adapter for the bottom brake line connector

All good ....and the correct bore size  too! 👍

On 10/30/2023 at 1:36 AM, Zedman said:

All good ....and the correct bore size  too! 👍

not certain but it stops great. It was a direct cross for the A1 Cardone 10-1379 according to the parts guy.

Car stops better than ever.

• Bore Size (in): 0.940 Inch

Edited by pantera928

On 10/31/2023 at 10:31 AM, pantera928 said:

not certain but it stops great. It was a direct cross for the A1 Cardone 10-1379 according to the parts guy.

Car stops better than ever.

• Bore Size (in): 0.940 Inch

Yep- that's the original 15/16" bore. Best outcome.  👍 There are lots of Master cylinders that look identical our units and will fit up, but have 1" bores. I'm not quite sure what the upshot of using one of those would be but surely the pedal travel would be far less.