DCS Computer Series 3

Jeff Neeley

Good luck with that, Jeff.  I posted pretty much the same question on July 5th, and with 67 views I received no response.  I suspect that this driving control system was available only on the Luxury Sports Coupe model of the 1987 Avanti.  Not too many of those produced in '87 so I would expect that there is very little info available.  I am still researching who may have produced this system, but so far to no avail. What year and model is your Avanti as that may be helpful in my research?

Stacey, if you look at my post on July 5th there is a picture of the DCS.  It monitors speed, fuel consumption, travel time and arrival time, etc.  Mine is installed in my '87 LSC model.

Silverstude, good idea on the cruise control theory, I will be looking into that also.

Footer, that appears to be similar to the DCS Series E that I have in my car, at least the features seem similar. It would be interesting to see the manuals included with the JC Penney system. It would seem there is more to the installation than what appears in the picture. The terminal that plugs into the DCS has six wires opposed to the 4 on your system.

I think there is more to it than that simple diagram. There is a magnet and sensor that goes on the driveline to provide data to the computer for speed and distance. I’d be happy to scan the manuals and email them. Might help a little. Mike

Footer, I would really appreciate it if you could email the manuals to me, at your convenience.

tbar10der@aol.com

Thanks,

Thom

Mike, yes I did receive the info, and  appreciate your efforts. I am still researching the manuals but it appears that the JC Penney unit and the unit in my car will no longer operate in my car. Apparently these units require a sensor to be placed within the fuel line to monitor fuel flow to determine MPG. These sensors will operate at a normal fuel line pressure. I converted my engine to the Holley Sniper EFI and had to install a fuel pump providing a much higher fuel pressure. The manual you sent me states that the unit cannot be installed in a fuel injected system. I will be doing some more research but it does appear that the Driving Control System in my Avanti will be there for appearance only.

Thanks again for all your assistance.   Thom

Thom, 

Assuming you have an external fuel pump (as opposed to a high pressure pump installed in the fuel tank), could the sensor be installed between the fuel tank and the high pressure external fuel pump?

r1lark,

Yes, that could be an option with the external fuel pump.  However, on the '87 El Camino frame that my Avanti is mounted to there is no channel in the frame to safely mount the fuel pump. I had to mount the primary filter and fuel pump immediately next to the fuel tank with absolutely no spare room to place the sensor between the pump and fuel tank.

• 2 months later...