More Problems. Calipers

Fourward

METRIC/SAE..... I HAVE USED SEVERAL JAG IRS SYSTEMS IN HOTRODS IN THE PAST,,,,THEY ARE ALL SAE (AMERICAN)....A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE FRIEND TOLD ME YEARS  AGO THE BRITS NEVER WENT METRIC...WELL AT LEAST THE 70S AND EARLY 80S REAR ARE ALL SAE....THANK GOODNESS ...BILL IN FL

16 hours ago, Fourward said:

Well, to end the thing then, Zedman, that was solid advice, I can't get the one caliper apart, the bolts are so rusted, I would have to pay my mechanic to disassemble one of them, so by the time I got done paying him, and getting the 4 x $110 pistons from SI, then brake shoes, I'd be bumping up against the cost of "NEW" calipers from Bob Ziff. $595. That bumps me into Turner Brake territory which gets me the rotors too, I gotta think my rotors are shot on this car, everything else was. So, I just ordered the Turner Brakes from Bob. ( I'm not that handy, the Jaguar parts look inviting but I KNOW I'm going to have to modify something.)

Thanks for the regards Mate, we all learned a few thing here ! come to think of it I sheared three screws disassembling mine but got lucky 'ezy-outing' the busted studs- seems the heads were corroded (salt!). At least the Turner assy is well sorted and will give you better grip.

I'm happy with the'Blake' front brake setup I installed on my '83 Avanti everyday driver....This system utilizes common Chevy Camaro rotors & calipers...It requires a special adapter bracket for the calipers though, and I don't know if Nostalgic Avanti has any left in stock.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the resolution to my brake problem. I got the Turner Brake System with the calipers and rotors. Around $700. Well worth it! Everything fit perfectly. The heating of the two races and installation had me worried, but I heated them for about 1 minute 20 seconds with propane torch, they went right on. Whole job took about 5 hours, I am not the world's greatest mechanic. Everything new and fits great! 

IMG_4548.JPG