1987 Convertible Fuel Tank Capacity

Bob G

I recently obtained a 1987 Convertible.  It seems like the fuel capacity of the car is only 13 gallons.  Does anyone know what it is supposed to be?

I will follow to see if you get an answer … if not, I plan to get mine out of shop in the next couple weeks … tank is empty so will fill and post an answer …

while at it … if you could look at your car n let me know what the button to the right of the convertible button on your 87 is for I’d appreciate it … thanks much … Dan Meyers

Hi Dan,

I tried scanning the page out of the Owners Manual and have attached it.  Not very clear.  It is not functional in my car and according to the manual is either a fog light switch or rear window defogger.  Hope that helps.

Bob2095608126_AvantiSwitch.thumb.jpg.375b15578149e21969e938617b86f820.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dan,

Did you have a chance to fill your gas tank to determine it's capacity?

Thanks,

Bob

I just had my 1991 conv tank pulled to replace the fuel pump. It has now avbout 3 gallons so will fill when I get it back and can post the gallons till full then, but it will not be for about 3 weeks till I get back home.

hi Stacey,

That would be great.  I can't put more than 13 gallons in mine.

Looking at my tank it appears they took the original tank, cut it and modified it to fit up into a small area. They might have removed a large enough section that removed a few gallons? It is a real odd shape now. They did reuse the factory in tank fuel pump at least.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob … finally got the car out this weekend … ran it as close to empty as I could without running dry … 1/8 tank left and filled up … got 9 gallons in it … figure coulda squeezed 10 in but didn’t want to take chance of overfilling/overflowing it and get the car smelling of gas … 

when restoring the car had the tank sent out and blasted and relined as it had a leak in it and car reeked of gasoline … I remember it being so small … was told that because of the convertible top folding into the trunk area, they had to make the convert tanks smaller in order to accommodate the top when folded down … don’t know if true or not but based on small size of tank as I remember, the 10 gallon figure makes sense.

This is just my experience but I ended gassing up much more often for this weekend trip than I thought I would … good reason to get out fairly often & stretch … best regards … Daniel

Still waiting for my car to be completed. so have not gone and topped off the gas tank yet. But will post once I filler er up.

Thanks Daniel.  I have put in as much as 11 gallons.  Your experience confirms what I have seen.  

Between the two of us Bob it seems like we got it figured out … it is definitely good to know … I knew it was small … now I’m curious as to what size tank an 87/88 sedan has … I’d think maybe considerably bigger … best regards … Dan

If memory serves - 18 Gal.

My 1987 owners manual lists the fuel tank capacities as 15.1 Gal. for convertibles and 19.5 Gal. for all other models. I have put close to 18 gallons in my LSC model at one fill up.

On 5/4/2023 at 5:14 PM, Bob G said:

hi Stacey,

That would be great.  I can't put more than 13 gallons in mine.

Stopped into see how my car's repairs were going. In talking to the Tech he said that gas tank looked totally cobbled together to fit into the space provided. I expect either by the end of the week or early next week to have all the stuff done so I can go fill her up and let you know what mine will hold as far as gallons go.

• 2 weeks later...

OK just filled it from empty on my 1991 Conv. 16.5 gallons is all she will hold.  So looking at how they constructed this tank it seems from what the factory design was they chopped quite a bit out of the capacity. 

8 hours ago, Stacey said:

OK just filled it from empty on my 1991 Conv. 16.5 gallons is all she will hold.  So looking at how they constructed this tank it seems from what the factory design was they chopped quite a bit out of the capacity. 

Have you had a chance to drive it with the new rear gear setup?

Yes, got it back yesterday and have had it out 3 times now with the top down. The 305 is awake now, not anywhere near the neck snapping spin the tires out of a dead stop something with more horsepower and torque would do, but it is now more fun to drive. The new 3:73 has increased the overall rpm's by a good bit, runs about 1,900/2,000 rpm at about 60ish. The speedo is off by about 30 mph reading high, but we ordered a speedo correction unit to adjust the overage and it should be here next week we hope. Not a big deal to install so that will then let me know for sure what speed I'm driving without having the phone GPS reading for me. I was all gung ho to pull that 305 and drop in a 350 or 383 to make the car more fun. With this gear change I might hold off and see if I really need that extra ummph. 

3 hours ago, Stacey said:

Yes, got it back yesterday and have had it out 3 times now with the top down. The 305 is awake now, not anywhere near the neck snapping spin the tires out of a dead stop something with more horsepower and torque would do, but it is now more fun to drive. The new 3:73 has increased the overall rpm's by a good bit, runs about 1,900/2,000 rpm at about 60ish. The speedo is off by about 30 mph reading high, but we ordered a speedo correction unit to adjust the overage and it should be here next week we hope. Not a big deal to install so that will then let me know for sure what speed I'm driving without having the phone GPS reading for me. I was all gung ho to pull that 305 and drop in a 350 or 383 to make the car more fun. With this gear change I might hold off and see if I really need that extra ummph. 

Thanks for the summary...that's exactly what I was looking for.  3:73 it is!!  Where are you getting the Speedo adjustment parts from?

Thanks for the summary...that's exactly what I was looking for.  3:73 it is!!  Where are you getting the Speedo adjustment parts from?

I don't know, the fellow who did my work was in contact with a service that builds these converters, will check and let you know.

The '89 Convertibles used the Caprice tank and would hold 25 gallons, that tank was under the trunk and had the fill door on left rear side fender just rear of the tire.