Rebuilt engine for '64 Avanti R2

bbstudegal

I realize my chances are next to nil but am looking for a rebuilt engine for my '64 Avanti R2 I'm having restored. Crankshaft is in rough shape. I've checked SDC forum and other sites. My mechanic can have it done through his shop, but trying to see if there is a cheaper option.

Edited by bbstudegal

• bbstudegal changed the title to Rebuilt engine for '64 Avanti R2

A fresh engine will start around 5K, how much you can do yourself will affect price. To drop off the car & pick it up with the engine restored these days would likely start at 10K. And most of those jobs will require remediation.

A cheaper option? an '86 Camaro!

Hi mfg,

I talked to my restoration guy and he said they can change out the block. I also contacted another Stude guy who has a complete NOS cloverleaf short block. Block, crank, rods, pistons, cam, timing gears. Would that work in a '64 R2 Avanti? I'm thinking so, but want to confirm.

On 4/4/2023 at 11:56 AM, mfg said:

If you intend to change out the block, any late '62-'64 289 Stude V8 would make a good starting point.

3 hours ago, bbstudegal said:

Hi mfg,

I talked to my restoration guy and he said they can change out the block. I also contacted another Stude guy who has a complete NOS cloverleaf short block. Block, crank, rods, pistons, cam, timing gears. Would that work in a '64 R2 Avanti? I'm thinking so, but want to confirm.

Definition of "short block": the COMPLETE block with pistons, rods, crankshaft, cam, timing gears, etc already fitted.  A cloverleaf short block could be a 259 or 289, or possibly an Avanti R1/R2.

Any late-1962 to 64 Studebaker V8 short block will fit: 259, 289, R1, or R2.  That is, the Avanti heads, etc will bolt up.  But, it would take either an R1 or R2 short block to be correct for your car. As someone has already probably said the R1 and R2 short blocks are identical except for the engine's serial number stamped at the front top of the block.  An Avanti R1's S/N will start with "R", an R2's will start with "RS".  Larks and Hawks were available with Avanti engines in '63 & 64.  Those serial numbers start with "JT" (R1), or "JTS" (R2).  Those short blocks are identical to the Avanti's R1 & R2 engines.

--Dwight

Edited by Dwight FitzSimons

20 hours ago, Dwight FitzSimons said:

Definition of "short block": the COMPLETE block with pistons, rods, crankshaft, cam, timing gears, etc already fitted.  A cloverleaf short block could be a 259 or 289, or possibly an Avanti R1/R2.

Any late-1962 to 64 Studebaker V8 short block will fit: 259, 289, R1, or R2.  That is, the Avanti heads, etc will bolt up.  But, it would take either an R1 or R2 short block to be correct for your car. As someone has already probably said the R1 and R2 short blocks are identical except for the engine's serial number stamped at the front top of the block.  An Avanti R1's S/N will start with "R", an R2's will start with "RS".  Larks and Hawks were available with Avanti engines in '63 & 64.  Those serial numbers start with "JT" (R1), or "JTS" (R2).  Those short blocks are identical to the Avanti's R1 & R2 engines.

--Dwight

OK. Thank you Dwight!

2 hours ago, bbstudegal said:

There are other issues. Decided just to have it done while the guys have the engine out instead of waiting and having to do it later.

Sounds like a great project, well worth the research you are doing. Sounds like it will be a fun car when you’re finished with it.