Turn signals cancel the cruise

pantera928

I just noticed yesterday that if i put on the turn signal for either side, the cruise control turns off. If I just hold the lever a little to change lanes but not enough to lock the lever in place, this does not happen.

Is this a feature or an issue?

It kind of makes some sense if you think about it since if you are going to make a turn, you will be slowing down some.

Thanks

My '78 doesn't have cruise control, so I'm guessing here.  Typically, the cruise control is cancelled by application of the brake, via a second switch on the brake pedal.  It almost sounds like your CC is somehow wired to the stoplight switch, and there is feedback when the turn signal is on.  Does your pedal have a second switch, or a switch with two sets of contacts?  Could it be possible that someone has the wires mixed up?    FWIW, there is a sketch of the circuit on Bob Johnstone's page.

https://studebaker-info.org/Tech/Diagrams/AEC/aec.html

In my experience, the answer is no. The turn signals should not cancel the CC. Jim is correct about the brake pedal but you should also be able to also cancel/disengage the CC from the control on the turn stalk. 

Your issue might point to a broken or bare wire or bad switch causing the issue. IIRC, a lot of the CC used by Avanti Motors were made by Dana Corp (now Rostra). If the issue is in the switch then you might be able to find one by Googling Rostra CC. I don't know if they make them anymore but I found a complete new unit at a swap meet a few years back for my 74. There should be some available on Ebay and most of the usual suspects. 

If it's connection it might be advantageous to pull the steering wheel to look at the wiring.

Overall, if it's only this problem I might just live with it. YMMV

Edited by Avanti83

Well, I plan to live with it as it does not bother me. Just curious.

Otherwise, the cruise responds to the switch and the brake pedal as it should.

I can sort out most any electrical issue on a car so maybe one day, when i am bored and curious, i will check it out.

Thanks guys

on my '80 the cc will cancel if i'm turning left, but not if i'm turning right. go figure!

• 4 weeks later...