Jump to content

Avanti II Fuel Filter 1700379 (AC GF-432) Years Used?


Recommended Posts

Question -- For what years did the Avanti II use the AC GF-432 fuel filter (Avanti p/n 1700379)?  I have a 1970 parts list that shows this filter, but wondering what other years it was used. Anyone know?

 

DSC07095.JPG

DSC07102.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It may depend on what carburetor your car has.  Avanti Motors changed carburetors several times during the early years before simply going with the GM supplied carb on complete crate engines...maybe to piggyback on emissions certifications.  Avanti Motors used Carter, Holley and Rochester carbs over time...some Carter AFB (not all) and Rochester (at least the Quadrajet) have replaceable filters that fit into the carb inlets.  Those carbs that didn't come with inlet fuel filters would use the inline filter such as yours.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Bruce for the insight......and reminder. I once overheard someone use the following related to where various parts on an Avanti II came from and when they were used: The only thing you can be sure about is that you cannot be sure.  :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hmmmm..........odd looking filter!.......would like to see a few different views of it......Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, mfg said:

Hmmmm..........odd looking filter!.......would like to see a few different views of it......Thanks!

Here you go Ed. It was used on at least '68 & '69 Corvettes, probably other hi-po GM engines. Note the return port.

 

DSC07099.JPG

DSC07100.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Listed this on eBay to see if the Corvette guys would bite, doubt if there are many late '60s/early '70s Avanti II's being restored to the level that they would want a NOS fuel filter. :)

fuel filter on eBay

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My '72 Avanti II with the 400 Chevy engine and 2-barrel carb used this fuel filter. When they became expensive and hard to find (back in the '90's) I modified the plumbing to use a less expensive, easily available filter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, adamderosa said:

My '72 Avanti II with the 400 Chevy engine and 2-barrel carb used this fuel filter. When they became expensive and hard to find (back in the '90's) I modified the plumbing to use a less expensive, easily available filter. 

This one I had on eBay sold for $35, I'm sure to some Corvette guy. Don't think I would have paid that much for a 50 year old fuel filter, but was glad it sold. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That appears to have a fuel return/vapor release ("this side up") outlet.  No Avanti I ever heard of used one.   You have to have a higher fuel pressure pump to offset the bleed off.  If you have a fuel tank return line on your chassis, this could be a nice asset.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, silverstude said:

That appears to have a fuel return/vapor release ("this side up") outlet.  No Avanti I ever heard of used one.   You have to have a higher fuel pressure pump to offset the bleed off.  If you have a fuel tank return line on your chassis, this could be a nice asset.

I have not owned an Avanti, but have several R-series powered Larks & Hawks. All of them have a fuel return line that comes off the fuel filter and goes back to a nipple attached to the fuel tank. I always thought that at least the Studebaker Avanti's had these also, if not also the early Avanti II. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...